cannot connect to FT-817

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
N1KK

cannot connect to FT-817

Post by N1KK »

I have a Nexus 5 cell phone and a Nexus 7 tablet. Both work with a program called Mircules DX Cluster. If your not familiar with this program
it brings up a list of frequencies. By tapping anyone of them it programs the FT-817 to have that frequency in the VFO.

The Andriod TXRX program doesn't see my Bluetooth adapter (I purcheased cheap version on ebay)
My cell phone and tablet both see it under bluetooth devices. When I press for a long period what looks like a power button
in the TXRX program it goes out to look for a bluetooth device but it doesn not find it.

I built a programmer for the Bluetooth Cat interface and have tried a couple different baud rates but no luck.
It came stock at 9600. I have it now configured at 38400 which seems to work better with Ham Radio Deluxe.
It does not work as well as my wired USB CAT interface.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: cannot connect to FT-817

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,

Starting with Android 6.0 Google changed the way Bluetooth discovery works, requiring location services right for that purpose. Please install the prerelease of the new version from here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=580#p1120
It has a lot of bug fixes and new features.

If you use 38400 (maximum available Baudrate for FT817), then there must be no difference between CAT over USB and over Bluetooth.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

Thank you Dan,

The newer version of your program now works with both the Nexus 5 cell phone and my Nexus 7 tablet with Andriod 6.0

One thing I noticed. On the Nexus 7 when I turn the main tuning dial of the FT-817 the frequency display on the program gets updated
briefly after. This does not happen on my Nexus 5 cell phone.

It also doesn't happen when I use Ham Radio Deluxe with Bluetooth Cat Converter or Wired Cat interface.

I also wanted to thank you for the tips you gave me on the USB-->TTL programmer allowing me to change the Bluetooth Cat
baudrate, name and pin#

Ken
N1KK
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

Playing with it on my Nexus 5 the NB changes the AGC settings. The ANT sometimes switches from the front to the back antenna input.
ATT doesn't do anything.

Nexus 7, Pressing NB is liking pressing the DISP button on the FT-817 to get large numbers
it doesn't do it all the time. Most of the time it does nothing.
ANT sometime takes pressing it twice to make the FT_817 switch the antenna input port.
ATT does nothing.

Without having another Bluetooth Cat interface I can't tell if it is the problem.

All minor in the big picture but I thought you would like to know

I have included a picture of the ebay Bluetooth Cat interface and the USB-->TTL programmer for it.
The grey cable has a female 8 pin din. The USB-->TTL powers the Bluetooth Cat interface.
Works good using one of your programs to program the Bluetooth Cat.

Thanks,
Ken
N1KK
Attachments
P1030598.JPG
P1030598.JPG (112.5 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

More feedback. Unless I am doing something wrong..

Progrograming the memories M1--M8 I set the frequency and mode first.
Then I press the memory button I want to store it into to. A box opens, I give it a name and I am done.
What I noticed is if I go back to that memory but the MODE should be different than what was stored,
when I press the memory button it switches to that frequency and mode then a few seconds later
it switches to the mode indicated below. In other words, all the memories work provided the manual wheel
for modes happens to be correct for the memory otherwise a second or two later the mode switches
to what is shown below.

Ken
N1KK
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,
N1KK wrote:Thank you Dan,

The newer version of your program now works with both the Nexus 5 cell phone and my Nexus 7 tablet with Andriod 6.0
Great!
One thing I noticed. On the Nexus 7 when I turn the main tuning dial of the FT-817 the frequency display on the program gets updated
briefly after. This does not happen on my Nexus 5 cell phone.
This means that radio feedback is not activated in Pocket RxTx on you Nexus 5. Is a small round button in the right part of the tuning knob.
Check that feedback is not disabled (red X on top). This is explained in the application user guide.
As a recommendation, for best results, do not use radio feedback and control from the application in the same time.

73 Dan YO3GGX
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

N1KK wrote:Playing with it on my Nexus 5 the NB changes the AGC settings. The ANT sometimes switches from the front to the back antenna input.ATT doesn't do anything.
What configuration file are you using from the repository? Changing some of the parameters require writing to EEPROM directly. Please check the following thread for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=548&p=851&hilit=rear+antenna#p851
Nexus 7, Pressing NB is liking pressing the DISP button on the FT-817 to get large numbers
it doesn't do it all the time. Most of the time it does nothing.
ANT sometime takes pressing it twice to make the FT_817 switch the antenna input port.
ATT does nothing.

Without having another Bluetooth Cat interface I can't tell if it is the problem.
I suspect a Bluetooth communication issue if the behavior is not coherent.
Have you tried to connect over USB using the USB CAT interface and an OTG adapter?

73 Dan YO3GGX
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,
Did you checked if radio feedback is activated in the application?
If yes, then please disable it if you intend to control the radio from the application.
73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK wrote:More feedback. Unless I am doing something wrong..

Progrograming the memories M1--M8 I set the frequency and mode first.
Then I press the memory button I want to store it into to. A box opens, I give it a name and I am done.
What I noticed is if I go back to that memory but the MODE should be different than what was stored,
when I press the memory button it switches to that frequency and mode then a few seconds later
it switches to the mode indicated below. In other words, all the memories work provided the manual wheel
for modes happens to be correct for the memory otherwise a second or two later the mode switches
to what is shown below.

Ken
N1KK