Blue tooth Dongle by KA6PSD

Here we will discuss only topics related to Yaesu FT-8x7 DIY Bluetooth-CAT micro-miniature interface
N1KK

Re: Blue tooth Dongle by KA6PSD

Post by N1KK »

OK, your last post did help concering the power. I just measured the 13.8v pin on the DIN
and as expected nothing is there. I used GND and TX gnd against the pin with nothing.
This makes sense no voltage would be present as its not needed on the radio side.

Just to be sure. You are saying TX to RX. and RX to TX.

I read elsewhere that the TX from the USB to TTL on your review uses TX to TX and RX to RX
based on what the Bluetooth Cat Converter needs. Meaning what is labeled TX on the Bluetooth CAT
wants the TX line from the USB to TTL.
This would not also be the case for the one I show in my attached picture?

Thank you,
Ken
N1KK
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

N1KK wrote:Just to be sure. You are saying TX to RX. and RX to TX.
Yes, because both the Bluetooth module and the USB CAT cable are with crossed connections, so miniDIN to minIDIN is no more crossed, so you need to use crossed between the two connectors.

Tx on the miniDIN connector is is fact the Rx pin in the USB/Serial internal module.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

I decided to purchase a USB to TTL interface like what you used to program the dongle for different buad rates.
and will make up a small cable with a female inline connector to mate with the Bluetooth CAT I purchased on ebay for around $7.00.

I believe with this setup it will be TX - TX RX-RX.
I could use this USB to TTl for other future projects. I like the idea it also includes
the 5 volts to power the Bluetooth CAT adapter.

After I purchased on ebay my Bluetooth CAT I found out about a program called Repeaterbook. Its claimed to only work
with BlueCat. I was wondering if there is a work around or another similar program as Repeaterbook that would work
with any Bluetooth CAT adapter.

Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hello Ken,
N1KK wrote: After I purchased on ebay my Bluetooth CAT I found out about a program called Repeaterbook. Its claimed to only work
with BlueCat. I was wondering if there is a work around or another similar program as Repeaterbook that would work
with any Bluetooth CAT adapter.
I'm not using Repeaterbook, but I suppose is using some kind of copy protection inside the BlueCat.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

My bluetooth Cat Interface I purchased on ebay works so far with all the android programs. However with Ham Radio Deluxe (Latest free version)
its not stable. The HRD display goes blank, its frequency display varies and is erratic. These erratic changes do not change
the frequency on my FT-817ND but when using HRD to make a change in frequency it does control the radio.

The mode shown on HRD is not correct but it is correct on the radio. Meaning if I click CW on HRD the radio goes to CW but, for example,
LSB will be shown.

I have tried programming the Bluetooth to different baud rates with the same results.

I don't know if its due to the particular Bluetooth Cat I purchased and if so have you seen this before and what the fix might be.

Thanks,
Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,

Are you using 38400 as Baudrate?
Maybe the flow for the serial port selected in Windows is not the right one?

You can try something. Run jAReC on the PC (available on my web page) and connect jAReC to the radio using Bluetooth (associated virtual COM port), then connect to jAReC over the network from Pocket RxTx.

If is working, then check if you have any extra setting in HRD for the serial port.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

Yes I tried 38400 with the same results with HRD. It seems to work perfectly with the Andriod Programs to change
frequency. I am not using the pay for HRD but instead the last free version which supports all my radios.

One nice add on feature to the Pocket RX TX program would be to import Repeater Frequencies from one of the online
Repeater Directories and with a single click setup up the FT-817 or other radio to that Repeater frequency.

RFinder uses a Raspberry Pi to do what a less than $10 delivered Bluetooth can do plus charge you
an annual fee.

RepeaterBook is free but you have to use their very expensive Bluetooth Cat adapter.

I have an app on my cell phone called Mircules DX Cluster Lite that does something similar but instead of
Repeater Frequencies it has a database of DX stations active and with a "jump to" that frequency setting
to the radio.

Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,
N1KK wrote: One nice add on feature to the Pocket RX TX program would be to import Repeater Frequencies from one of the online
Repeater Directories and with a single click setup up the FT-817 or other radio to that Repeater frequency.

RFinder uses a Raspberry Pi to do what a less than $10 delivered Bluetooth can do plus charge you
an annual fee.

RepeaterBook is free but you have to use their very expensive Bluetooth Cat adapter.
Can you point me to a site providing the list of available repeaters per location in a standard format (xml)?
If I have access to such a list, then I can use the smartphone GPS (as location is anyway used for Bluetooth functionality) to load only the list of the repeaters available in your location.

73 Dan YO3GGX