FT-891 Connection

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
KA5KKT

FT-891 Connection

Post by KA5KKT »

Rig: Yaesu FT-891
Tablet: Lenovo 8" Android - Fully Updated
Software: Pocket RXTX

While the FT-891 has a CAT port, the Bluetooth interfaces offered are indicated as being for FT-8x7. The 891 has a USB B port on it which works okay with a USB cable, though I've not full explored the features, audio, etc. I'm trying to find the proper device to connect with Bluetooth via that USB B port. Searching has left me a bit clueless other than perhaps a Printer Server type device. I have no idea of the various protocols used.

Useful thoughts appreciated.

Dick - KA5KKT

PS What happens if one attempts to use an FT-8x7 Bluetooth Dongle on the 891?
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: FT-891 Connection

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Dick,

Unfortunately FT-891 can use the USB port only for CAT. Audio is available only over the DATA connector. It was a very strange Yaesu decision not to provide audio over USB too, like in FT 991.

Looking into the user manual at page 24, the TUN/LIN connector on FT-891 does not support CAT, so you cannot use a FT8x7 Bluetooth CAT module.

Did you tried to connect Android device to the radio over USB cable for CAT?

Another possibility is to use a Raspberry Pi connected to your radio over USB, run jarecmini on it and then connect from your tablet over WiFi.

73 Dan YO3GGX
KA5KKT

Post by KA5KKT »

"Did you tried to connect Android device to the radio over USB cable for CAT?"

Yes..."The 891 has a USB B port on it which works okay with a USB cable, though I've not full explored the features, audio, etc." That was done with an Android tablet running Pocket RXTX via a USB Cable.

Is there a way to get a wireless connection from the Android tablet to the USB B port?

73, Dick - KA5KKT
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Dick,

As stated in my previous message, FT-891 DOES NOT PROVIDE AUDIO OVER USB!!!
The only wireless CAT connection I'm thinking on for this radio is the one already explained, through jarec.

73 Dan YO3GGX
KA5KKT

Post by KA5KKT »

Yes, Don...I understand.

My circumstances...

I have an 891 mounted in my trunk of my vehicle. I have the 891 control head mounted near the driver position. This gives me audio via the headphones jack at the operating location. It is plugged into the cars audio system.

I'd like to mount my Android tablet on my steering wheel. A USB cable attached to the tablet would interfere with steering. I'd like to find a way to communicate wirelessly with the USB port on the 891.

This is not per se a Pocket RXTX problem. It is a problem of how to communicate wirelessly with the 891 USB port. I thought perhaps someone might know enough about Bluetooth (or Wi-Fi?) communication of what type of device is needed at the 891 to receive the Pocket RXTX information wirelessly at the USB B port. Audio is not critical in this case.

Do you know of a wireless device to plug into the 891 USB port to communicated information between it and the Android tablet / Pocket RXTX?

I wonder if a Bluetooth CAT dongle can be adapted to USB B port and if that would work...audio aside.

73, Dick - KA5KKT