jAReC version 4 beta versions

Here we discuss about both jAReC and jarecmini
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: jAReC version 4 beta versions

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Jimmy,
SY1DAL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:40 pm Let me explain what i do in pocketrxtx... When i open the app, i find a frequency and usually an operator calling CQ... after i establish a QSO i click on the time UTC box area which opens the details to be written. I only type the CALLSIGN in there... and automatically all other info is getting completed like the city, country and name of operator. I only then write the RST Received and RST Sent readings and then SAVE button to save the qso in ADIF file. So how does that work ? Can this also be applied in Call Logging in Jarec ? My account is a free one on QRZ... i don't have subscription XML. Since day 1 that i am using PocketRXTX this feature of adding the qso in adif file works without issues. So i guess you can do the same in Jarec without the need of an XML subscription :)
Is the same implementation, so if it works for you in Pocket RxTx with a free account, then will work on jAReC v4 too. You can check.
Maybe you have a subscription and you don't remember .. :)
The only reason to have am XML subscription is to be able to query the database through the API. If this is possible for free, then why QRZ is charging $30 per year?

I cannot test as I don't have a free account and my subscription is still active, but let's wait for feedback from other users.

73 Dan YO3GGX
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Hi Dan,
Is the same implementation, so if it works for you in Pocket RxTx with a free account, then will work on jAReC v4 too. You can check.
Maybe you have a subscription and you don't remember .. :)
The only reason to have am XML subscription is to be able to query the database through the API. If this is possible for free, then why QRZ is charging $30 per year?

I cannot test as I don't have a free account and my subscription is still active, but let's wait for feedback from other users.
You have to check the code from pocket-rxtx because i am sure you are doing the query not via API.
If you do via API from QRZ then its sure that its needed an XML account subscription.

I have tested on Jarec and i get error - that its not able to query due to the XML subscription. I don't get any errors on Pocket-RXTX... so you are using another method to query data.

73s, Jimmy.
https://qrz.com/db/sy1dal
.:: Jimmy Sy1Dal ::.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Jimmy,
SY1DAL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:07 pm You have to check the code from pocket-rxtx because i am sure you are doing the query not via API.
The code used for the query in jAReC v4 is extracted from Pocket RxTx, so it is absolutely the same.
If you do via API from QRZ then its sure that its needed an XML account subscription.
I have tested on Jarec and i get error - that its not able to query due to the XML subscription. I don't get any errors on Pocket-RXTX... so you are using another method to query data.
Are you sure that you set your callsign, your QRZ username and your QRZ password in jAReC Call Log page (Config) the same as in Pocket RxTx (all 3)?
I'm using the same query routines in both apps, in fact are shared.

73 Dan YO3GGX
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

The code used for the query in jAReC v4 is extracted from Pocket RxTx, so it is absolutely the same.
Ok then... fair enough :) Didn't know.
Are you sure that you set your callsign, your QRZ username and your QRZ password in jAReC Call Log page (Config) the same as in Pocket RxTx (all 3)?
I'm using the same query routines in both apps, in fact are shared.
In Pocket RXTX i have typed my callsign of course and when it comes to QRZ details its in form of qrz username/password . Essentially the qrz username is the callsign. Cannot understand why its not working properly then.

Jimmy
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

What is the exact message you get in jAReC v4?
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Well i made a screenshot.

I get this message now when i click on CONFIG menu "(re)get QRZ key .

When i type the callsign - in this example yours, i get info, but the frequency was not displayed immediately.
It took some seconds delay (approx. 30sec) before it got displayed (in our example 7.16Mhz) .

Noticed also that in CONFIG menu, the option "extra info" is not saved. Once you quit the app. You have to go again there and enable that.

Also as you can see in the screenshot, the MODE is again not displayed. You have to click with mouse to change it. So for some reason... it reads all other data but MODE is not read upon opening the app in DIRECT MODE. And a weird thing is, that my radio was on frequency 7.16 (as per my example above) but when i close direct mode and re-open again, after i click on the CONNECT red button it displays frequency 7.130 instead. Why isn't it reading properly from the radio ?

One other thing i noticed is the logging feature, each time i press L (shortcut) it ask me to save ADIF file. And i give a name and it says it will start with an empty adif file. After i save a QSO it asks me to save a new ADIF file that has my callsign in the filename instead of saving the first ADIF file i was asked. Perhaps i might have to demonstrate this with a video.

I also believe that the once you click on the SAVE button, in the logging feature, all fields must be cleared except for the frequency, unless you change frequency / band. Because now you have to press the CLEAR button in order to write the next callsign to save a new QSO.

One last thing i discovered is that when you have LOGGING enabled (by pressing L) if you close the window on the left (direct mode) the LOGGING window still stays ON and you have to press only X in the corner to close it.

These are all i have noticed while testing the latest version so far.

73s, Jimmy.
Attachments
jarec-loggin.PNG
jarec-loggin.PNG (202.39 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

SY1DAL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:46 pm I get this message now when i click on CONFIG menu "(re)get QRZ key .
This is a normal message and means that you successfuly get the key to querry the database.
When i type the callsign - in this example yours, i get info, but the frequency was not displayed immediately.
It took some seconds delay (approx. 30sec) before it got displayed (in our example 7.16Mhz) .
The frequency is writtem when you tune the radio (same for mode), is not something you get from QRZ.
It takes until you change it.
Noticed also that in CONFIG menu, the option "extra info" is not saved. Once you quit the app. You have to go again there and enable that.
That menu item is no more used, I forgot to remove it. To get extra info you must click on the station picture. Anyway, I have doubts you can get extra info from QRZ without a paid subscription. A I can see, you get only Country.
Also as you can see in the screenshot, the MODE is again not displayed. You have to click with mouse to change it.
If you start call logging before connecting to the radio, both mode and frequency will be displayed. I will change in the next release to get it automatically if the radio is already on
And a weird thing is, that my radio was on frequency 7.16 (as per my example above) but when i close direct mode and re-open again, after i click on the CONNECT red button it displays frequency 7.130 instead. Why isn't it reading properly from the radio ?
You're sure you didn't touched the mouse wheel when pressing on connect? I've checked here and it stays on the same freq.
One other thing i noticed is the logging feature, each time i press L (shortcut) it ask me to save ADIF file. And i give a name and it says it will start with an empty adif file. After i save a QSO it asks me to save a new ADIF file that has my callsign in the filename instead of saving the first ADIF file i was asked. Perhaps i might have to demonstrate this with a video.
I think is a bug. Didn't fully tested all possible sequences.. Try to open an adif file (File open) and then close logging and start it again. You must not be asked anything from now on.
I also believe that the once you click on the SAVE button, in the logging feature, all fields must be cleared except for the frequency, unless you change frequency / band. Because now you have to press the CLEAR button in order to write the next callsign to save a new QSO.
Another bug for v4b13
One last thing i discovered is that when you have LOGGING enabled (by pressing L) if you close the window on the left (direct mode) the LOGGING window still stays ON and you have to press only X in the corner to close it.
Another bug for v4b13

73 Dan YO3GGX
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Hi Dan,
This is a normal message and means that you successfuly get the key to querry the database.
OK then... i was worried :)
The frequency is writtem when you tune the radio (same for mode), is not something you get from QRZ.
It takes until you change it.
Let me explain... when you open the main window... you are already on a frequency. Lets assume that you are already on 7.160... so you hear operator calling CQ and you want to make QSO. So you reply to him, he responds, and then you type his callsign next to the LOGGING window. So why does it take 30 seconds for the frequency you are already tuned to be displayed ? I know that the frequency is not grabbed by QRZ.... qrz has nothing to do with the QSO you are in progress with... :)
In Pocket-RXTX is the same thing and way more faster.... because you are already in a frequency when you open the app... all you do is tap on the UTC time clock to save the QSO.
That menu item is no more used, I forgot to remove it. To get extra info you must click on the station picture. Anyway, I have doubts you can get extra info from QRZ without a paid subscription. A I can see, you get only Country.
On Pocket RXTX with my current free version account of QRZ i am getting these details automatically fill in "Name, Locator (sometimes), QTH, Country" . So that means that also in Jarec logging feature i must have the same details as well. Right ? Frequency is self-explnatory that it will be automatically filled but its not necessery to first tune the dial.... I am not sure if i am explaining it correctly :)
If you start call logging before connecting to the radio, both mode and frequency will be displayed. I will change in the next release to get it automatically if the radio is already on
It doesn't make sense to open up first call logging and then press connect button . But even if the user does that, when he press the connect button that means that the radio is ON or auto-powered on if enabled in settings. Then the first thing that must happen is to read all values from the radio and display them on screen window. Therefore the MODE must be always displayed.... whats the point in displaying the frequency but without its current MODE (lsb, usb, fm, am et.c) - then the user doesn't actually know which mode the radio is.
You're sure you didn't touched the mouse wheel when pressing on connect? I've checked here and it stays on the same freq.
I have to try this again to be sure... and we both know that if this happened due to the scroll wheel of the mouse... then for sure in the next version you must allow for the mouse wheel to only change value when in FOCUS of the window. When its not in focus its must not change anything :)

I am now testing server / client mode and will get back with news tomorrow.
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Good morning to all :)

Yesterday i did some tests.

Everything seems to be ok in between server and client modes but i spotted a small delay. It could be an internet connection issue tho... cannot be sure 100% (from the host side as at home i have fiber).
To be more precise in that delay, i am referring only to the PTT. All other information on screen were instant. As i had side by side both windows (server and client) all data were the same and with no delay but PTT had a delay. And that is not so convenient when in a QSO as the other participant might believe you are gone or lost from propagation.

Also spotted that on client window i could not see the MODE (lsb,usb,fm et.c) while i was connected to server.

Another weird thing that happened in the logging (when pressing L) was that after inserting all the information correctly of my QRZ credentials, i was typing a callsign and i was getting error message in box that my QRZ account cannot query and needs subscription. That is so weird. It shouldn't happen. Its not happening on mobile version like i mentioned in another post.

I was recording a video last night but for some reason after i opened it , there was a complete darkness and nothing was displayed. I will try to do it today so you can possibly see the errors on screen.

73s
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Jimmy,
SY1DAL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:29 pm Let me explain... when you open the main window... you are already on a frequency. Lets assume that you are already on 7.160... so you hear operator calling CQ and you want to make QSO. So you reply to him, he responds, and then you type his callsign next to the LOGGING window. So why does it take 30 seconds for the frequency you are already tuned to be displayed ?
Maybe I was not clear in my previous post. It doesn't take 30s (just a coincidence), it can take forever if you don't change the frequency, but forget about this, is fixed in b13, so the frequency and mode will be available as soon as you start the log if the radio is ON.
On Pocket RXTX with my current free version account of QRZ i am getting these details automatically fill in "Name, Locator (sometimes), QTH, Country" . So that means that also in Jarec logging feature i must have the same details as well. Right ? I am not sure if i am explaining it correctly :)
Is very clear what you say, but, again, both apps use absolutely the same routine to query the database. QRZ does not allow users to have more than one account, so I cannot test myself, but let's see if other users will test this.
There is no other way to query the QRZ database except through XML files and on QRZ page is clearly stated that you cannot do XML queries without a paid subscription.
Please go to this page, enter your QRZ credentials and make a query to see what is returned, compared with jAReC v4.
https://xml.qrz.com/xcheck
I have to try this again to be sure... and we both know that if this happened due to the scroll wheel of the mouse... then for sure in the next version you must allow for the mouse wheel to only change value when in FOCUS of the window. When its not in focus its must not change anything :)
Is a bug, but I'm still searching for the root cause.

73 Dan YO3GGX