Android Programming

Here we will discuss general topics related to other potential hardware or software projects
George

Android Programming

Post by George »

Ok, here's my other question.....

Any suggestions on what to read or download to get started in Android app programming?

I'm 62 years old and I started programming "Back in the Day" with the 8085 and Z80 processors in hex. My first computer was a KIM-1 with 1k of ram that I soon upgraded to a whole 2k.... I couldn't imagine ever needing more than 2k!! :-) Anyhow over the years following that I moved into basic and then C, then got out of programming. Now with the Android system it kinda feels like years ago and it would be fun to again program the famous "Hello World" on the screen for the first time.

Any starter suggestions?

tnx
de George
WD0AKZ
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: Android Programming

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi George,

If you are familiar with basic, then the best option to start is basic4android.
Is not as you expect an interpretor (like in Windows) but a real compiler which generates native Android code based on Android SDK.
Is very powerfull and provides you all usual debugging tools.

See: http://www.basic4ppc.com

It cost you just $49 including 2 monts of free upgrades.

73 Dan YO3GGX
George

Post by George »

Sounds good, I will look into basic4ppp. I have a feeling it's going to be a long and cold winter here in Minnesota this year. Last year I learned about PIC's and wrote a small program that I am using to control my Elecraft T1 tuner that I have remoted outside with my Doublet antenna. This winter Android programming will be on the list.

Thank you again for your assistance in figuring out the Bluetooth on my Samsung tablet and for the programming suggestion. I like combining hardware and software, opens up a whole bunch of possibilities.

73's
de George
WD0AKZ
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi George,
George wrote:Last year I learned about PIC's and wrote a small program that I am using to control my Elecraft T1 tuner that I have remoted outside with my Doublet antenna.
Can you detail a little bit?
I have a T1 too for my little 817 and I'm interested to automatically control the tuning procedure from my app. As I know it can memorize settings per band.
George wrote:Thank you again for your assistance in figuring out the Bluetooth on my Samsung tablet and for the programming suggestion.
I'm glad that I can help.

Good luck.
73 Dan YO3GGX
George

Post by George »

I have a few things to do right now for my wife, but later today I'll shoot you a email with the schematic and a brief explanation of what I did to remote my T1.

George