Receive Audio

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
George

Receive Audio

Post by George »

I've been looking for a way to get the audio from my FT-817ND out the speakers of my android tablet so I would have a almost fully remote head. I have a notebook computer connected to the 817 on the bench for the digital modes so I routed the rx audio out of the notebook via bluetooth to my BT headset. This was Ok, but I had to wear the headsets and I really wanted to have audio out of the tablet's speakers so I ordered one of the FM transmitters that is used to connect to a MP3 player and play thru the car's radio.

Well I just received my Coby CA745 Wireless Car Digital FM Transmitter that I got via ebay for $18.99 US. I plugged it into the phn/spk jack and fired it up...... Works Great :D My tablet (Samsung Galaxy Player 5) has a FM radio app and although it says it must have the earbuds plugged in to act as the antenna, it does fine with just a blank (new) stereo plug. It also has the feature to switch to the speakers.

So now I can go into another room in my house (or outside on my deck) and listen to the 817 via table's FM radio app (which will run in background) and control the 817 with the bt7x8 app.

I did try it plugged into the notebooks audio but it didn't sound near as good as out the 817's phn jack, but I may look into that more.

Anyhow, just wanted to pass this FM transmitter info on to anyone that may be looking for a down and dirty way of getting the audio out of your android device.

73's

de George
WD0AKZ
George

Re: Receive Audio

Post by George »

I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 as my Android device but I am now using a LG G2x phone which does not have a built-in FM Radio so again I'm looking for ways to get audio from the FT817 to the phone. Ideally would be to simply use a Bluetooth headset (ear piece type) to pick up the audio and transmit it via BT to the phone/tablet and have a app that would then route it out the internal speaker. I have searched for a app such as this and have posted on a few programmer forums and so far nothing.

The closest I have found is a app called Baby Monitor All-In-One. This app allows you to use one cell phone as a transmitter (Baby), one as a receiver (Parent). It will continuously send the audio from one to the other and out it's speaker via BT or WiFi. My son loaned me one of his older android cell phones so I installed the app on it and my LD G2x. I configured his phone as the "Baby" and placed it on top of my FT817 near the speaker. I configured mine as "Parent" and was able to be in another room and hear the audio from the FT817 while using bt8x7 to control the radio. While this approach did work, the audio level was not near as loud as it was when I was using my Samsung Player and it's FM Radio with a small FM transmitter on the FT817. And... it requires the use of two cell phones.

73's

de George
WD0AKZ
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

George wrote:
Anyhow, just wanted to pass this FM transmitter info on to anyone that may be looking for a down and dirty way of getting the audio out of your android device.

73's

de George
WD0AKZ
Hi George,

I'm really sorry. I was not notified about your post in October so I will answer you now. I have another wireless microphone which can be used for such a simple setup.
This is it:
http://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/contents/en- ... s_Mic.html
A short video with it (not in my setup)

73 Dan YO3GGX
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

George wrote:I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 as my Android device but I am now using a LG G2x phone which does not have a built-in FM Radio so again I'm looking for ways to get audio from the FT817 to the phone. Ideally would be to simply use a Bluetooth headset (ear piece type) to pick up the audio and transmit it via BT to the phone/tablet and have a app that would then route it out the internal speaker. I have searched for a app such as this and have posted on a few programmer forums and so far nothing.

The closest I have found is a app called Baby Monitor All-In-One. This app allows you to use one cell phone as a transmitter (Baby), one as a receiver (Parent). It will continuously send the audio from one to the other and out it's speaker via BT or WiFi. My son loaned me one of his older android cell phones so I installed the app on it and my LD G2x. I configured his phone as the "Baby" and placed it on top of my FT817 near the speaker. I configured mine as "Parent" and was able to be in another room and hear the audio from the FT817 while using bt8x7 to control the radio. While this approach did work, the audio level was not near as loud as it was when I was using my Samsung Player and it's FM Radio with a small FM transmitter on the FT817. And... it requires the use of two cell phones.

73's

de George
WD0AKZ
I have tried to build a combo CAT/audio Bluetooth interface using a BT headset PCB and a BT Serial module. You can see some pictures here:

Unfortunately I was not happy with the audio quality, most probable because of the low quality headset used.

I'm working on a new version of Pocket RxTx with audio support. You will be able to use an old cheap smartphone as a WiFi interface to the transceiver for both both audio and CAT. More details will be available in the help file of the new version.

73 Dan YO3GGX