Experimental pre-releases of Pocket RxTx

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Experimental pre-releases of Pocket RxTx

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi all,

I'm working for months on a new version. The development is going very very slowly, because of very limited available time for this project.
Please download the prerelease for the new versions for both Pocket RxTx and jAS2SecNET from here:
http://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/pocketr ... 7.1-19.apk
http://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAS2SecNET/jAS2SecNET_v0.5-1.jar

I strongly recommend to install the prerelease 0.7.1-19 in parallel with the Play Store version, so you can compare the two if something is not working.

What's new in Pocket RxTx v0.7.1-19 from v0.7.1-7:
- sticky PTT option din direct CAT mode (I forgot that this was not available in 0.7.1-7)
- embedded support added for Kenwood TS-590
- support added for Yaesu FTDX5000
- no more Ad block warnings at all, even not registered
- support added for Icom IC-R71e, IC-R7000, Kenwood TS-480 (not tested)
- experimental audio support
- sound server for further integration with other Android applications (like DroidPSK, etc)

Solved bugs:
- when entering Setup in direct CAT mode all text entries are cleared.
- sound server tcp port config in Setup screen (both WebSDR and Direct CAT mode). If 0, then sndserver is disabled
- you can now toggle audio output between media and voice, allowing to use a cheap bluetooth headset (without A2DP support) to listen to the radio.
- when registered, previous ad zone is smaller and fixed
- change encryption to security, add 3 states: unencrypted, UseAuthentication, UseEncryption (UseEncryption is now deactivated)
- when registered messages about adblock are still displayed
- connection status circular LED goes blue when returning from Standby even if connection is over network or USB.
- new config file parameter '<VFO>" to better handle VFO selection based commands
- wrong circular LED color when switching back from standby or from setup mode
- authenticated mode not saved between app restarts

What's new in jAS2SecNET v0.5-1 from v0.4:
- deactivate START button when already started and STOP button when already stopped.
- changed and bigger icons for security and audio settings
- experimental audio support
- autostart function added
- reconnect to COM port and restart server if any parameter changed anbd previously connected

User guide is not yet updated, but I'm pretty sure that you will easily find the way to the new features...;-)

What's still to be added before public release of the new version:
- user customizable feedback from the radio (work in progress)
- support for fine tuning (knob) using a bluetooth or USB mouse (work in progress).
- Android Wear support (work in progress)

Please post a feedback here if you have the time to test this version or if you have questions related to the new and not yet documented features.

Thank you,
73 Dan YO3GGX
ka5bjc

Re: Prerelease of a new version - 0.7.1.19 and jAS2SecNET 0.

Post by ka5bjc »

I must be missing a step somewhere! When I click on Pockettr...7.1-19.apk (that is just what displays on my Samsung tablet) all I get is Pocketrxtx_v0-1.man. Eventually I got the file extension changed to .pdf so I know that is the v0.7 user manual.
jA2SecNET seems to be working fine on my laptop.
Thanks
John KA5BJC
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi John,

When you download an Android application package, the extension is changed sometimes to ".man" for an unknown reason. You just have to change it back to ".apk". The rest of the file is not changed.

73 Dan YO3GGX
ka5bjc

Post by ka5bjc »

I changed the extension and got the app installed. I got a Java key length error with authentication turned on but that could have been my password error. With authentication turned off, I had main power, frequency, and band control. Noise reduction and noise blanker work. Attenuator on and off works. AGC doesn't seem to work. I forgot to try the mode wheel.
Audio worked until I pushed the PTT. PTT worked but audio did not come back when the radio changed back to receive. Forgot a mike or key for the tablet so I don't know if output power worked. Then I did something that turned the radio main power off and couldn't get it back. Time to stop for a while!
The radio is a Kenwood TS 480sat. I'll work on the AGC and see if I can get some more function keys programed over the next few days.
I'm impressed.
Thanks
John KA5BJC
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi John,

if you want you can post your final config file in the Kenwood section here:
http://www.yo3ggx.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=543
This will help other users not to reinvent the wheel.

Thank you for your feedback,
73 Dan YO3GGX
DH1KLM

Post by DH1KLM »

Hi Dan,
i am in Holiday the next week and so i have time to Play around
with pocket Transceiver. Also i have a unused android phone which
waits for a new purpose. ;)
Is there already a jAS2SecNET android version available?
If yes where to download and how to connect the TRX with the mobile phone.
Are there Setup instructions?

Another question is related to the Ads in your App.
How to deactivate the Ads?

73 de Sigi, DH1KLM
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Sigi,

There is no Android version of jAS2SecNET yet. I still have some work to do on the main Pocket RxTx application. I will post here during the weekend an update with experimental feedback support from the radio.
For the moment the config file is written only for the FT-450 I own and partially for FT-817. If you are interested to play with it and build the config file for your own transceiver, please follow this thread on Sunday evening.

Thank you.
73 Dan YO3GGX
DH1KLM

Post by DH1KLM »

Thank you Dan,
I am curious about the feedback support.
Will be back on Sunday.
Have a nice Weekend.

73 de Sigi, DH1KLM
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Pocket RxTx 0.7.1-21 and jAS2SecNET 0.5-3

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi all,

An experimental intermediary version for both apps is available for download, maybe the interested people can help me speed up the process of extending the feedback functionality to as many currently supported transceivers as possible.

What's new in Pocket RxTx v0.7.1-21 comparing with 0.7.1-19:
- authentication timeout
- implementation of a new CAT engine supporting customizable radio feedback (experimental, limited to a few read commands);
- radio status feedback speed based on baudrate

Solved bugs:
- secure authentication does not work on some 4.x.x devices

Download: http://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/experim ... 7.1-21.apk

What's new in jAS2SecNET v0.5-3 comparing with 0.5-1
- better compatibility with Java8

Download: http://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/experim ... v0.5-3.jar

To use the new radio feedback feature there is an extension of the radio config file parameters, as follows:
=======================
; read command format
; <priority>,<when to read>,<command - variable length>,<separator>,<nr.of.expected.bytes>,<rec_byte_1>,...,<rec byte_n>
; <priority> - 01-each loop, 02-from time to time (currently one from 4 loops)
; <when to read> - 00-both during Rx and Tx, 01-during Rx only, 02-during Tx only (discarded/not sent otherwise)
; <command - variable length> - see list of available commands format above (same as for the "blind commands", with no feedback)
; <separator> - <R> - end command separator (<R>)
; <nr_rec_bytes> - number of data bytes expected to be received
; <rec_byte_x> - what that byte represent
; - follows the rule from the SEND commands to define data
; - <00> - byte not containing a parameter to be read - will be discarded
; - list of possible byte value (as 2 digits hex if numeric value or Sx if char value) and corresponding parameter value. Take care to use a valid parameter value, this is not checked for errors.
; A binary byte followed by '/' can be used as a mask for that byte if only some bits are to be used
=======================

Only the config file for Yaesu FT-450 was updated with the read commands. Use this as an example:

=======================
CMD_READ_FREQ=
CMD_READ_FREQ_A=01,01,<SFA;>,<R>,11,<00>,<00>,<C7>,<C6>,<C5>,<C4>,<C3>,<C2>,<C1>,<C0>,<00>
CMD_READ_FREQ_B=01,01,<SFA;>,<R>,11,<00>,<00>,<C7>,<C6>,<C5>,<C4>,<C3>,<C2>,<C1>,<C0>,<00>
CMD_READ_MODE=04,01,<SMD0;>,<R>,05,<00>,<00>,<00>,<S1=LSB;S2=USB;S3=CW;S4=FM;S5=AM;S6=DATA-L;S7=CW-R;S8=USER-L;S9=DATA-U;SB=FM-N;SC=USER-U>,<00>
CMD_READ_SMETER=01,01,<SRM1;>,<R>,07,<00>,<00>,<00>,<V2>,<V1>,<V0>,<00>
CMD_READ_ALC=01,02,<SRM4;>,<R>,07,<00>,<00>,<00>,<V2>,<V1>,<V0>,<00>
CMD_READ_PWR=01,02,<SRM5;>,<R>,07,<00>,<00>,<00>,<V2>,<V1>,<V0>,<00>
CMD_READ_SWR=01,02,<SRM6;>,<R>,07,<00>,<00>,<00>,<V2>,<V1>,<V0>,<00>
CMD_READ_MOD=
CMD_READ_VFO=04,01,<SVS;>,<R>,04,<00>,<00>,<S0=VFO-A;S1=VFO-B>,<00>
CMD_READ_PTT=01,00,<STX;>,<R>,04,<00>,<00>,<S0=OFF;S1=OFF;S2=ON>,<00>

; list of commands to be sent at startup (usually read different parameters in order to be able to work after that without feedback, for max. responsiveness
; separate commands (use only defined ones) by ','
STARTUP=

; list of commands for the parameters feedback
POLLING=CMD_READ_FREQ_A,CMD_READ_MODE,CMD_READ_SWR,CMD_READ_PTT
=======================

Currently only the following read commands are implemented:
CMD_READ_FREQ
CMD_READ_MODE
CMD_READ_PTT

As FT450 protocol is similar with the one used by the Kenwood transceivers, I expect to be an easy job to define the read commands.

Hope to advance a little bit faster with the development in the following weeks, but any help is welcome.
Please send me any feedback you may have if you have time to play with this experimental version.

As usual, this version can be installed in parallel with the Play Store version, for easier comparision, but shares the same config files.

Thank you.
73 Dan YO3GGX