New version - 0.4

Here we will discuss only topics related to the miniVNA Android application
yo3ggx
Site Admin

New version - 0.4

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi all,

I've developed a new version of the Android application (0.4) which is now available for download from my web page.
The downloadable user guide (in pdf format) can be downloaded from here: http://www.yo3ggx.ro/btvna/btvna_v0.4.pdf
An online user guide is available here: http://www.yo3ggx.ro/btvna/doc/btvna.html
You can discuss about this new version on the dedicated forum here: http://www.yo3ggx.ro/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

What's new in version 0.4:

Generator mode added with the following features:
- large DIGITS;
- extremely easy and intuitive operation, even with small screen devices;
- possibility to manually enter the frequency through a numeric keypad;
- working in manual frequency set or continuous (live) mode;
- rotary knob to change the frequency in both manual or live modes;
- Fast/Slow (100Hz/10Hz) steps through the knob or manual ±1 Hz steps;
- lock mode to prevent accidentally settings changes;
- KHz or MHz scale;
- frequency calibration can now be done in a very intuitive way from Generator mode (see section in manual);
CABLE data mode added with the following features:
- large display objects;
- extremely easy and intuitive operation, even with small screen devices;
- no graphs, no specific procedures to follow, everything is done automatically;
- just connect the CABLE at the DUT connector with the other end open;
- include a List of well-known coax CABLE and their Velocity Factor;
- measure and calculate CABLE length from less than 1m to hundreds of meters with a simple click;
- CABLE length is measured in 2 steps for better accuracy;
- operate in meter or feet mode;
- measure CABLE loss for different frequencies from 1 To 180 MHz;
- can work in Offline mode if the CABLE was measured before (even in ANTENNA mode) and data saved;
- replace standard Android keyboard with a big numeric keypad when entering a custom frequency range;
- long press on SET button to exit the custom frequency entry panel;
- menu elements redistributed;
- some other small cosmetic changes.
Bugs solved:
- first time you need to click two times in the left of the graph to go in full screen mode;
- marker info and min SWR info does not disappear when switching to another band with no data;
- if changing mode during customized frequency range setting the panel is not cleared;
- Java error ("Invalid Double") when dragging the marker over ranges where SWR is very high;
- other small bugs.

Features to be implemented in future versions:
- X-tals measurement;
- filters measurement;
- L/C measurement.
Known not (yet) solved bugs as of version 0.4:
- some sporadic Java errors in Bluetooth operation (the VNA is not yet automatically recognised);

I kindly ask you to send me your feedback if you try it.

--
73 Dan YO3GGX
oz7ox

Re: New version - 0.4

Post by oz7ox »

Hello
Have dabbled with ver 0.4 and it works ok, but I have a little problem in generator mode
the numbers above, or FRQ readings are 2/3 of numbers in height only visible, but it can easily be used as it is, only a small beauty error.
I also have a little difficulty getting maker line on the screen (in anttenne measurements), must try many times to make it appear. it could possibly be done with a button on the screen, or a sub-meny

But it may be my monitor does not fit. I use a Samsung S3 and can not find anywhere I can change the screen size of the machine.

But nice graphics and a nice pogram, you always have at hand
but will return when I've got it all tested

Best 73

oz7ox Ole

and thanks for the god work
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: New version - 0.4

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ole,
oz7ox wrote:Hello
Have dabbled with ver 0.4 and it works ok, but I have a little problem in generator mode
the numbers above, or FRQ readings are 2/3 of numbers in height only visible, but it can easily be used as it is, only a small beauty error.
The generator display for S3 must look like in the following picture.

oz7ox wrote: I also have a little difficulty getting maker line on the screen (in anttenne measurements), must try many times to make it appear. it could possibly be done with a button on the screen, or a sub-meny

But it may be my monitor does not fit. I use a Samsung S3 and can not find anywhere I can change the screen size of the machine.
The application is designed to automatically fit any display resolution from 320x240 to 1280x800 with without the need to zoom or stretch the display on the device.
I've seen some issues with marker activation myself on a Sony Xperia mini (480x320 resolution). Please check an updated version (0.4.3) which has the following changes from 0.4:
- fix a bug which prevents correct detection of an 800x480 display (ex. Galaxy S, S2)
- add possibility to display in full screen the box with the minSWR values (by clicking on the box you toggle this)
- improve marker activation routine
You can download it from here:
http://www.yo3ggx.ro/btvna/btvna_v0.4.3.apk
or use QRcode which will always point to the latest available sub-version.
oz7ox wrote: But nice graphics and a nice pogram, you always have at hand
but will return when I've got it all tested

Best 73

oz7ox Ole

and thanks for the god work
Please send me any observation you may have. It helps me a lot to improve the application.

Thank you and best regards,
73 Dan YO3GGX