Feature request

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
DO4UJ

Re: Feature request

Post by DO4UJ »

Hi Dan,
just for my understanding: Someone has to ask each of the server owners to ask you to put them on your list, right?
But now I can access every WEBSDR server via browser without special permission. Is there a technical difference for the server owner if I access via browser or via Pocket RXTX?
Or is it a matter of politeness? Then maybe the maintainer of websdr.org (PA3FWM) could be ask for a general permission.

73 Uwe, DO4UJ
yo3ggx wrote:Hi Uwe,

If WebSDR servers owners wants to be accessible from Pocket RXTX, then it can be done if they are requesting this.
I don't have the right to do it my myself.

73 Dan YO3GGX
DO4UJ

Re: Feature request / SDR-Radio Server

Post by DO4UJ »

Hello Dan,

just another idea. It would be nice to support the server of sdr-radio (http://v2.sdr-radio.com/). The software is developed by Simon Brown (like the first versions of HRD).

73 Uwe DO4UJ
Last edited by DO4UJ on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Uwe,

I will try to contact Simon to see if it will be possible to suport SDR-radio too in a future version of Pocket RXTX.

On the other side, I'm afraid that because of the licensing model of WebSDR software I will no more able to support future versions in my app.
As of today, the new WebSDR version (10) which add some new and interesting features (like RTLSDR support) is not and wil not be supported.

Thank you for your suggestion,
Dan YO3GGX
DO4UJ

Post by DO4UJ »

yo3ggx wrote: I will try to contact Simon to see if it will be possible to suport SDR-radio too in a future version of Pocket RXTX.
Thanks!
yo3ggx wrote: On the other side, I'm afraid that because of the licensing model of WebSDR software I will no more able to support future versions in my app.
As of today, the new WebSDR version (10) which add some new and interesting features (like RTLSDR support) is not and wil not be supported.
Oh! That means WebSDR licenses are not free of charge anymore? I asked PA3FWM to send me the software for setting up a server with my funcube dongles...
I got no answer yet.

73 Uwe DO4UJ
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Uwe,
yo3ggx wrote: On the other side, I'm afraid that because of the licensing model of WebSDR software I will no more able to support future versions in my app.
Oh! That means WebSDR licenses are not free of charge anymore? I asked PA3FWM to send me the software for setting up a server with my funcube dongles...
I got no answer yet.

73 Uwe DO4UJ
It is somehow free to use, but the new licensing terms for the client applet looks like the following:

"Copyright 2007-2013, Pieter-Tjerk de Boer, PA3FWM, pa3fwm@websdr.org - All rights reserved.
Since the intended use of this (or any) applet involves sending a copy to the client computer, I (PA3FWM) hereby allow making it available unmodified, as part of the original .jar file, via my original WebSDR server software, to original WebSDR clients.
I do not permit reverse engineering of this applet; please contact me for the motivation for that."

In other words, as the client protocol is not documented, the only way to build a non-java client is to reverse engineer the official client.
In the current circumstances, I will no longer support WebSDR servers from version 10 and up.

This licensing info is not presented in the distibution documentation, so who wants to install the server is not aware about this without reading into the client java applet.

Please contact Peter for further explanations.

73 Dan YO3GGX
DO4UJ

Post by DO4UJ »

Hi Dan,

thanks for the explanation. Now I understand the problem.
yo3ggx wrote: In other words, as the client protocol is not documented, the only way to build a non-java client is to reverse engineer the official client.
In the current circumstances, I will no longer support WebSDR servers from version 10 and up.

This licensing info is not presented in the distibution documentation, so who wants to install the server is not aware about this without reading into the client java applet.

73 Uwe
EB5TC

Post by EB5TC »

Hi,
I am thinking about making a SDR device with RTL2832U + Raspberry and rtl_server.
It could be possible to connect to my server introducing the IP?.
Thanks for everything.
Paco-EB5TC
73! Paco–EB5TC
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Paco,

In a future version you will be able to connect to rtl_tcp server. In the current version is not possible.

73 Dan YO3GGX
EB5TC

Post by EB5TC »

Ok Dan, great job.
Thanks for answer.

73! Paco–EB5TC
73! Paco–EB5TC
DO4UJ

Post by DO4UJ »

yo3ggx wrote:Hi Paco,

In a future version you will be able to connect to rtl_tcp server. In the current version is not possible.

73 Dan YO3GGX

Yes, rtl_tcp server support would be nice!

73 Uwe DO4UJ