Blue tooth Dongle by KA6PSD

Here we will discuss only topics related to Yaesu FT-8x7 DIY Bluetooth-CAT micro-miniature interface
rbeswick62

Blue tooth Dongle by KA6PSD

Post by rbeswick62 »

The first dongle didn't go to smoothly for me. My perf board was to thick and I use a razor blade to thin it down. It did however work it just didn't look as good as the pictured on by YO3GGX... For 7 dollars I will now perfect it by building a second one. Way to cool to stand back while someone sees your radio running wild up and down the band. I plan on using this, when I and the wife go out front for coffee and I will be able to take the radio along, well at least my phone. Hi hi. KA6PSD Robert
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: Blue tooth Dongle by KA6PSD

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Robert,

I'm working on a new CAT interface over WiFi (extended range, audio included) which will be supported in Pocket RXTX Android app. You will be able to connect your transceiver to the Internet without a PC. That interface will work with Ham Radio Deluxe too.
I will post here when ready to show it.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

Is t possible to change the baud rate on the Bluetooth Cat converter buy using a USB to TTL CAT converter for the FT-817.

I have a USB CAT converter that works great with Ham Radio Deluxe. From my reading the Bluetooth
units have a fixed board rate but can be changed by programming it with a piece of hardware which
I think is a USB to TTL. Could I use my existing USB CAT Converter to program the Bluetooth CAT converter
to change the buad rate.

Thanks,
Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hello Ken.

Yes, is possible. You can follow the steps from my FT8x7 Bluetooth CAT interface here:
https://www.yo3ggx.ro/btcat/FT8x7_DIY_B ... ace_v1.pdf
at page 4.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

I have read that article but I am still confused on power. The USB to TTL you mentioned in the article supplies 5v and 3.3 volts.
I don't believe my wired USB to TTL I currently use on my FT-817/857 supply those voltages. I have not measured all of the pins
yet but I would guess those voltages are not present at the 8 pin din and not needed for the radio.

The other question is would TX of my USB to TTL wired cable with 8 pin din for FT-817/857 go to TX on the Bluetooth CAT interface.
I seem to remember reading you do not do a cross over TX-->RX.

Ken
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

In the ariticle you say

Build a small cable like in the following picture in order to
connect RX,TX,GND and +5V from the USB/Serial module to
the RX,TX,GND and +13.8V from the Bluetooth
-

What type of round connector are you using on the end of the small cable.
One side goes to the USB--TTL and the other side is a round connector?
Can you describe that and how you use it.

Thanks,
Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,

The BT interface has an internal voltage stabilizer, as it must be powered from the CAT connector (12V), so you can power from the +5V on the USB/Serial module. Do the wiring as following:

miniDIN 8-pin *************** USB/Serial module
+13.8V *************************** +5V (out)
Tx ******************************** Tx
Rx ******************************** Rx
GND ***************************** GND

Hope this help.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

N1KK wrote: What type of round connector are you using on the end of the small cable.
Use a female miniDIN 8-pin connector, like the following:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Female-8- ... Swj0NUgSBb

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

I have attached a picture of my USB CAT interface. This works well with my FT-817/857 using Ham Radio Deluxe as well as CHIRP and other
programs.

Are you saying one of the pins on its 8 pin din contains 5 volts to feed the Bluetooth CAT interface?

The inline 8 pin din looks almost right but the second row of 3 pins should have a space between 2 of its pins
larger than the other. . . . It should look something like that.. The picture on ebay you pointed out doesn't appear
to have that space.

Ken
N1KK
Attachments
P1030592.JPG
P1030592.JPG (95.5 KiB) Viewed 7113 times
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Ooooooops!
Sorry!
You are talking about an USB CAT cable, not a standard USB/Serial module like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-CH3 ... SweW5VJPBn

You can use that one too, but then you need to provide power (ex. +12V) to the Bluetooth module on the specified pin, from a separate power supply (ex the one used to power the transceiver). The USB CAT cable uses only Rx, Tx and GND.

You can use 2 miniDIN 8-pin female connectors wired as follows:

BT <--> USB
Rx <--> Tx
Tx <--> Rx
GND <-->GND
+13.8V <--> not connected to the USB/Serial cable, but to an external power supply.

Because the USB/Serial cable works with TTL levels (+5V) you can put some small resistors between the data connections, but from my experience the bluetooth module can handle +5V too.

Hope is clear now.

73 Dan YO3GGX