Control via 3G+ mobile network

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
fy4pr

Control via 3G+ mobile network

Post by fy4pr »

Hi Guys!
I tried to control my rig from my smartphone but not via a wifi link, via the 3G+ network i've got in French Guyana.
After had some problem for the port configuration, i had to change the port to 8080 (7809 impossible to open).
And Pocket TX connected well to hrd. But i couldn't do anything!
The small yellow pixel on top left of the clock is blinking but very slowly compared when i'm in wifi.
On the top left of the frequency counter i can read "77" instead of "FT857" in wifi
The S-meter still on 9+60dB
And i don't have the different modes in the "mode" button

Everything i do on pocket tx show like it work (changing QRG, band, PTT)... but the transceiver don't move.

Of course i think like you... The French Guyana 3G mobile network is to slow to permit correct dialog between pocket TX and HRD.
But does some of you tried? Maybe you've got a better rate on your mobile network. It must be tried by those who have a good rate!

Imagine listening your favorite frequencies from your job?!?!... And why not... making a QSO!!!
Should be a way to explore!

Dan, I can't wait for your new version, hope it will come soon!!! ;)

73'
Fredo
FY4PR
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: Control via 3G+ mobile network

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Fredo,
fy4pr wrote:Hi Guys!
I tried to control my rig from my smartphone but not via a wifi link, via the 3G+ network i've got in French Guyana.
After had some problem for the port configuration, i had to change the port to 8080 (7809 impossible to open).
And Pocket TX connected well to hrd. But i couldn't do anything!
The small yellow pixel on top left of the clock is blinking but very slowly compared when i'm in wifi.
On the top left of the frequency counter i can read "77" instead of "FT857" in wifi
The S-meter still on 9+60dB
And i don't have the different modes in the "mode" button

Everything i do on pocket tx show like it work (changing QRG, band, PTT)... but the transceiver don't move.
This is a very strange behavior. I'm using it successfully over 3G here, in Romania.
Have yo tried a ping from the smartphone to your home to see the network latency?
What version of HRD are you using?
Of course i think like you... The French Guyana 3G mobile network is to slow to permit correct dialog between pocket TX and HRD.
But does some of you tried? Maybe you've got a better rate on your mobile network. It must be tried by those who have a good rate!
Have you tried SDR mode? How is working over your 3G?
Imagine listening your favorite frequencies from your job?!?!... And why not... making a QSO!!!
Should be a way to explore!

Dan, I can't wait for your new version, hope it will come soon!!! ;)
Your dream will come true with the new version.. :)
Main features in version (0.6) will be:
- multi SDR servers support
- audio support in HRD mode (bi-directional) with the possiblity to remotely start/stop HRD.
I'm still having some stability issues which I want to solve before releasing the new version.
I will post a message here when ready
73'
Fredo
FY4PR
73 Dan YO3GGX
fy4pr

Post by fy4pr »

Hi Dan
Do you think it's possible that my problem is due to the port configuration?
I did speed test on my 3G connection, see the results:
The best ping i had was 176ms
The best download rate was 1200kbps
The best upload rate was 700kbps

Do you think it's enough?

The SDR mode look like working good on 3G, i can change band and frequencies, and sound quality is good.

73'
Fredo
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Fredo,

Is more than enough in terms of latency and speed. SDR is the most demanding in terms of bandwidth an processor speed.
If you connect over Internet using other type of access then is working in HRD mode too?

73 Dan YO3GGX
fy4pr

Post by fy4pr »

Hi Dan,
I just tried to connect via my home wifi connection, in local network by the local ip address, everything working well.
But if i try from my 3G connection, using the internet ip address of my router and the port 8080, it connect to HRD (that's what pocket TX say) but don't work.
I didn't try by other way.
If my latency and speed are enough, i think maybe the problem come from the port i'm using. I 'll try again to open the 7809 on my router and my firewall.
I'll let you know if i found the problem.

PS: my HRD version is 5.24.0.38

73'
Fredo
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,

You need to opern or to forward only TCP port.

73 Dan YO3GGX
fy4pr

Post by fy4pr »

Hi Dan, after some test, i found i had a problem with my sagem box, the port redirection don't work correctly, i have to disengage the firewall completly.
With my box firewall removed, pocket TX can access HRD and read some informations. It's very long but the FT857 frequency finally appear good, the mode used too (after a long time).
But the Power is not correct, it's always 5W shown on Pocket TX, indeed it's 100W really on the transceiver.
The Pocket TX frequency can vary himself, and go to 0.03200... after waiting a while it go back to the real FT857 frequency... But it's most usually on 0.03200 than on the good QRG.
The Signal meter still on S9+60 when on 0.03200, and show the real S when on the real QRG.
I can callback a memory channel, but only one, if i callback an other memory channel, the pocket TX soft bug and no more dialog between HRD and the phone (small yellow light stop blinking), i have to disconnect and connect again.
The PTT button work bad, if i stay pushed, the transceiver really TX after 3 or 4 seconds and go back in RX after 2 secs...

On the top left corner of the frequency counter, the name can change.
Sometimes it's "RADIO?", or "192" or "FT857" or "Ham Radio Deluxe" ... don't know what it mean.

But however, it's not usable like that, i've got a lot of bug, lot of connection freeze, and too much latence.
1 time i pushed the PTT button on my smartphone, the FT-857 put in transmit mode, and it freeze. I pull off my finger of the PTT button but the FT857 stayed on TX! I had to shutoff the transceiver by the ON/OFF button to go back in RX. Very dangerous if happen when you're not at your shack!

Hope it help!

73'
Fredo
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Fredo,
fy4pr wrote: ...But the Power is not correct, it's always 5W shown on Pocket TX, indeed it's 100W really on the transceiver.
I have no FT-857 to check something so maybe you can help.
Please install and run HRD ip (updated last Saturday) and play with the commands related to Power:
I need to know the specific values for 5, 10, 25 and 100W (both set and get).

The Pocket TX frequency can vary himself, and go to 0.03200... after waiting a while it go back to the real FT857 frequency... But it's most usually on 0.03200 than on the good QRG.
I'm aware about this issue but I still think is a problem in IP Server implementation in HRD. 0.032 mean that HRD returned (for some strange reasons) value 0 for frequency when asked.
Maybe is not able to handle very fast querries. As there is no documentation, I can just suppose.
The Signal meter still on S9+60 when on 0.03200, and show the real S when on the real QRG.
When on 0.032 all the values can be messed up.
I can callback a memory channel, but only one, if i callback an other memory channel, the pocket TX soft bug and no more dialog between HRD and the phone (small yellow light stop blinking), i have to disconnect and connect again.
I will try to find a way to compensate this "bug".
The PTT button work bad, if i stay pushed, the transceiver really TX after 3 or 4 seconds and go back in RX after 2 secs...
The PTT button just send the command to the transceiver immediately. Only when the feedback from transceiver was received that the command executed successfully, then the PTT button goes red.
For me even over 3G the feedback is fast enough for normal operation.
Sometimes it's "RADIO?", or "192" or "FT857" or "Ham Radio Deluxe" ... don't know what it mean.
That name is set only when powering on the app by pressing the round button. Do you mean that the name changes during operation?
If yes, then most probable is a problem with the communication.
But however, it's not usable like that, i've got a lot of bug, lot of connection freeze, and too much latence.
1 time i pushed the PTT button on my smartphone, the FT-857 put in transmit mode, and it freeze. I pull off my finger of the PTT button but the FT857 stayed on TX! I had to shutoff the transceiver by the ON/OFF button to go back in RX. Very dangerous if happen when you're not at your shack!
Do not forget that IP Server nor HRD Remote Server does not provide any kind of checksums for the communication, so there is no way to know when an error occurs.
This may happen (theoretically) even if you use HRD remotely and not my app. Maybe I'm pushing to far the capabilities provided by the IP Server...
You have all these issues when using it over the WiFi?
I will implement in a future version a watchdog for PTT. How do you send PTT from HRD to transceiver? Over CAT or using RTS?
Hope it help!
Very useful feedback. Let's tryu to solve your issues one by one.
73'
Fredo
73 dan YO3GGC
fy4pr

Post by fy4pr »

Hi Dan,

I'll check with hrd ip and will give you the results about the power.

That name is set only when powering on the app by pressing the round button. Do you mean that the name changes during operation?
If yes, then most probable is a problem with the communication.

Yes the name change during a same connection. Your probably true, i think i've got a communication problem

When i'm using wifi i've got some issues too (QRG problem, pwr, S-meter, freeze after memory callback,...) but the PTT button work correctly.

I'm using a CAT USB cable for PTT, i'm doing a lot of contact in digital modes using DM780 and never had any problem.

Thanks Dan.
73'

Fredo
fy4pr

Post by fy4pr »

Hi Dan,
I played with HRD Ip.
Here is a picture of my screen after this manipulations:
set slider pos .. HF Power 5W
get slider pos .. HF Power
set slider pos .. HF Power 10W
set slider pos .. HF Power 25W
set slider pos .. HF Power 100W
screenshot_2013-03-12_2159.png
I'm not sure if it's what you expected from me.

I seen a bug in HRD ip, on my phone, if i let the screen coming black (i mean like the screensaver of the phone)
If i hurry up my phone, i get an error:
screenshot_2013-03-12_2211.png

Hope it help!
if i can help you again, you can ask me to try something, i'll be glad to do it for you.
Thanks
73'
Fredo