Other uses?

Here we will discuss only topics related to Yaesu FT-8x7 DIY Bluetooth-CAT micro-miniature interface
W7PUK

Other uses?

Post by W7PUK »

Is there a reason you couldn't use two of these? One for CAT and another for tx/rx on digital modes? To use the Data jack you'd have to supply power, but if you are going to do both CAT and Data you could build a device with two BT chips and two cables and power both off the CAT port.

Just a thought...

I love this and plan to build my first one for use with a Baofeng HT to use for data modes. The MIC plug on the HT provides 5v so it should work a treat. I could even see using it for programming the radio with the right software.

Thanks for these plans.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: Other uses?

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your question.
If you talk about a second interface for audio, then I have tried something like this, but the results were not as good as expected.
Some pictures here:
Image Image

Please be more specific.

73 Dan YO3GGX
W7PUK

Post by W7PUK »

What I mean was use what you have designed to remote control the rig, and run a second one that plugs into the data port for doing things like packet and winlink. So you'd have one bluetooth/Com Port for CAT and a seperate port for data transmission. Obviously the two would have to be connected to supply power to the data side. Pretty much what you have pictured.

What was the issue? Interference between the two BT transmitters or something?
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,

Data port of the transciver is fact an analog port, with Audio IN/ Audio OUT so you cannot use same kind of serial module. The audio one used by me for tests is from a good Plantronics Bluetooth headset (Discovery 620).
The issue was that the quality of the audio transmitted over Bluetooth was not good enough for a reliable digital communication, I suppose because of some drop-outs and phase errors.
For voice communication it can be good enough
I don't have a source of A2DP based BT modules to try, maybe is much better.

73 Dan YO3GGX