Newest update No HRD?

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
N9MXQ

Newest update No HRD?

Post by N9MXQ »

When I updated to the latest greatest all my connection info was lost, and I cannot find how to connect to HRD. Everything was working fine prior to the newest update. Any insight?
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: Newest update No HRD?

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,

As stated in the update description, starting with this version HRD mode was removed because of several limitation and disadvantages.
There is a new mode implemented, named direct CAT. Any transceiver is supported, if the corresponding text config file is available. Users can configure all the 10 option buttons with any command they want by just editing the text file.
In order to use this mode, you need to run on the PC my Java app named jAS2SecNET, available on my web page here:
- the package: http://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAS2SecNET/jAS2SecNET_v0.4.zip
- online help (multilingual) : http://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAS2SecNET/doc04/index.html
- offline user guide (pdf, English only): http://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAS2SecNET/doc04/j ... T_v0.4.pdf

I strongly encourage you to read about the new mode in the application updated user guide available here:
- online user guide (multilingual): http://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/doc07/index.html
- offline user guide (pdf, English only): http://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/doc07/p ... x_v0.7.pdf

There is no more need to have HRD installed/running on the PC and the new jAS2SecNET can be run on Windows, Linux or Mac too. An Android version will follow, which will allows you tu run "Server" part on an old smartphone, without a PC.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm pretty sure that you will like the new mode considering many advantages over the old one.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N9MXQ

Post by N9MXQ »

Didn't see it mentioned anywhere.. And if I have to install more software then it's not worth it. It was fun while it lasted
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

N9MXQ wrote:Didn't see it mentioned anywhere.. And if I have to install more software then it's not worth it. It was fun while it lasted
Hi,

Where did you look? It is mentioned in the update description and in the new app user guide. Did you read it? Where else do you think I forgot to mention?

You don't need to install jAS2SecNET. You just have to run it. Is a portable application which can run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS.

The new direct CAT mode has many advantages over the old simplistic HRD mode:
- is a lot smaller and easy to run than HRD. Is just a few MB in size and does not require complex configuration
- PC side can be run on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux or MacOS)
- is more secure - you can connect using secure authentication. In a future version will support full data encryption;
- is a lot more flexible, practically any user can add support for any transceiever without the need to update the application. In the old HRD mode this is possible only by writing new code in the application for each new Transceiver
- network, USB/Serial and Bluetooh mode are integrated, using the same transceiver configuration file
- is prepared for audio support (no need anymore to use Skype or other external VoIP apps to have audio)
- an Android version for the server part will be available soon. This will allow you to use a cheap old Android smartphone as replacement for the PC and still able to remotely operate your transceiver from the Internet.

Can you do all this with the HRD IP Server? I personally don't think so.

If all this is not important for you, then you can still use the old Pocket RxTx version (0.6.4 or 0.6). It is still available for direct download here:
http://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/history.html

So ... please do not put it as "It was fun while it lasted" as this is not the case.
I do not intend to keep features down just to preserve an obsolate mode. Sorry.

It is very clear for me that I cannot satisfy everybody, but I still want to progress in my own way. The future will show me if I'm right or not.

73 Dan YO3GGX
ok1do

Post by ok1do »

Hi Dan,
I tested your programm jAS2SecNET, it works with phone HTC DHD (Android 2.3.5) very fine,
but I got a problems with it on S4 mini (Android 4.4.2) Screen on PC stays yellow, don't change
color for green, but remote adress of smartphone is appearing on screen.
Any Idea...
73! Jiri
OK1DO
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Jiri,

If not changed to green, then the connection is not fully succesful. Are you using authentication and/or encryption in jAS2SecNET?
The virtual LED around the power button in PocketRXTX goes green?

73 Dan YO3GGX
ok1do

Post by ok1do »

Dear Dan,
situation is the same with only authentication or with authentication and encryption. Virtual LED stays gray. I thought there should be problem with new version of Android and possibillity to write on SD card?
Jiri
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Jiri,

I've tried on several devices, with Android from 2.3 to 4.4 without any issue to connect over network.
For sure is not about a firewall somewhere in between? Maybe you can try to change the port to another value.

73 Dan YO3GGX
iw1ghg

Post by iw1ghg »

Thank you for the program, is fabulous and brilliant.

I report some bugs:

1: When you log on to the network is automatically selected the antenna front (FT817)

2: When you click on setup, the radio turns off

3: there is no way to set the step, sometimes at 6.25 kHz VHF goes sometimes at 1 khz

Galaxy Note 1 Yaesu Ft817
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,
iw1ghg wrote: 1: When you log on to the network is automatically selected the antenna front (FT817)
Till feedback will be available, as FT8x7 uses several settings on a single data byte, you need to edit config file to accomodate your own needs.
Just change the bit corresponding to the used antenna from 0 to 1 in the command.
FT8x7CAT protocol require for some undocummented commands to directly write some data in the EEPROM. You can write only two successive bytes in the same time.

Antenna selection is done together with the "SET Output power" command. Locations 79 and 7A in the EEPROM are used for that:

Location Bits Setting Values
79 1-0 TX Power (All bands) 00 = High, 01 = L3, 10 = L2, 11 = L1
79 2 ? ?
79 3 PRI On/Off 0 = Off, 1 = On
79 4 DW On/Off 0 = Off, 1 = On
79 6-5 SCN (Scan) Mode 00 = No scan, 10 = Scan up, 11 = Scan down
79 7 ART On/Off 0 = Off, 1 = On
7A 0 HF Antenna Select 0 = Front, 1 = Rear
7A 1 6 M Antenna Select 0 = Front, 1 = Rear
7A 2 FM BCB Antenna Select 0 = Front, 1 = Rear
7A 3 Air Antenna Select 0 = Front, 1 = Rear
7A 4 2 M Antenna Select 0 = Front, 1 = Rear
7A 5 UHF Antenna Select 0 = Front, 1 = Rear

You can change the following commands in ft817.config file:
CMD_SET_PWR_0.5W=00,79,03,00000000,BC
CMD_SET_PWR_1.0W=00,79,02,00000000,BC
CMD_SET_PWR_2.5W=00,79,01,00000000,BC
CMD_SET_PWR_5.0W=00,79,00,00000000,BC

to
CMD_SET_PWR_0.5W=00,79,03,00111111,BC
CMD_SET_PWR_1.0W=00,79,02,00111111,BC
CMD_SET_PWR_2.5W=00,79,01,00111111,BC
CMD_SET_PWR_5.0W=00,79,00,00111111,BC

This will make your radio to use rear antenna for all bands. You can set what antenna to use for what band, based on your own setup.
2: When you click on setup, the radio turns off
This is by design. You don't have to use setup when the transceiver is ON. First set and then power on.
3: there is no way to set the step, sometimes at 6.25 kHz VHF goes sometimes at 1 khz
In the current version step (for +/- buttons ) is automatically set based on bad used. For fine tuning use the knob.

Thank you for your feedback.
73 Dan YO3GGX