Interfacing with homebrew radio

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
W3JDR

Interfacing with homebrew radio

Post by W3JDR »

I'm building a homebrew rig with a built-in CAT interface. I plan to model the interface protocol after the FT-817; that much of the interface is pretty well defined. Where I'm having problems is on initial power-up of Pocket RxTx. It apparently tries to determine if there's a radio connected and gives a message to connect the USB CAT if it doesn't find one. I want my end of the interface to respond and let Pocket RxTx know it can proceed. What does this initial transaction consist of?

Thanks

Joe
W3JDR

PS: Pocket RxTx looks like a very nice piece of work. Thanks for your efforts!
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: Interfacing with homebrew radio

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Joe,
W3JDR wrote:I'm building a homebrew rig with a built-in CAT interface. I plan to model the interface protocol after the FT-817; that much of the interface is pretty well defined.
I do not recommend you to use FT8x7 CAT protocol as a template as this is one of the most difficult to deal with.
Better use one of the text based protocols, like FT450 or Kenwood.
Where I'm having problems is on initial power-up of Pocket RxTx. It apparently tries to determine if there's a radio connected and gives a message to connect the USB CAT if it doesn't find one. I want my end of the interface to respond and let Pocket RxTx know it can proceed. What does this initial transaction consist of?
To use the USB connection you need an USB /Serial device based on one of the following supported chips: FT232, CP2102 or PL2303. The message you specified is related to the fact that my app was not able to open the serial port.
Thanks

Joe
W3JDR

PS: Pocket RxTx looks like a very nice piece of work. Thanks for your efforts!
Thanks. You can define your own protocol (no need to use an existing one) and create a new config file for that one. Everything is explained in the app user guide.

73 Dan YO3GGX
W3JDR

Post by W3JDR »

Thanks for the very speedy reply Dan.

I opened Pocket RxTx on my Galaxy 6 Edge phone using an OTG host interface cable to an Arduino Nano with no code in it yet. I assumed Pocket RxTx would handshake the Nano and recognize it as a USB serial adaptor. FYI, the Nano uses a CH340 USB-serial chip, so maybe this is the problem? Anyway, it apparently isn't being detected by Pocket RxTx. Also, I didn't mean FT-817, I mean't IC-718. That's the radio's native protocol.

For your further information, it's not really a homebrew radio, it's an XM1 Chinese SSB/CW transceiver (are you familiar with it?). I'm building a Nano into it to provide a USB interface that replaces the pseudo-RS232 interface built into the rig. Once that's working, I have plans to use the Nano to provide additional functionality for the radio. Being in the data path, my Nano can intercept messages and re-process them, and it can also respond to new messages and do stuff on it's I/O.

Joe
W3JDR
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Joe,
W3JDR wrote:Thanks for the very speedy reply Dan.

I opened Pocket RxTx on my Galaxy 6 Edge phone using an OTG host interface cable to an Arduino Nano with no code in it yet. I assumed Pocket RxTx would handshake the Nano and recognize it as a USB serial adaptor.

FYI, the Nano uses a CH340 USB-serial chip, so maybe this is the problem? Anyway, it apparently isn't being detected by Pocket RxTx. Also, I didn't mean FT-817, I mean't IC-718. That's the radio's native protocol.
In order to use Pocket RxTx in USB mode you need to connect the interface with PocketRxTx closed. You must be prompted to automatically start Pocket RxTx if the interface is recognized. If this does not happen, then the interface is not supported. I have to check if is possible to support CH430 too. If there is support in the driver, then I will add the corresponding Intend, Please send me the VID/PID for your USB serial interface.
For your further information, it's not really a homebrew radio, it's an XM1 Chinese SSB/CW transceiver (are you familiar with it?). I'm building a Nano into it to provide a USB interface that replaces the pseudo-RS232 interface built into the rig. Once that's working, I have plans to use the Nano to provide additional functionality for the radio. Being in the data path, my Nano can intercept messages and re-process them, and it can also respond to new messages and do stuff on it's I/O.

Joe
W3JDR
Then Pocket RxTx may be your perfect match as it is very user configurable. You can define your own commands/functions by just edititn the radio configuration file (which is text based).

Let's first try to make it work with CH430.

73 Dan YO3GGX
W3JDR

Post by W3JDR »

Dan

I tried to find the VID/PID information in the Windows 7 Control Panel properties for the device, but I don't see it. I did a bit of searching on the net and found someone claiming it's VID 1a86, PID 7523. I hope this helps.

Joe
W3JDR

Post by W3JDR »

also...

It's probably staring me in the face, but I can't find the link to the app user guide. Can you direct me?
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Joe,

Online here:
http://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/doc07/index.html

Offline(PDF) here:
http://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/doc07/p ... x_v0.7.pdf

Please do not forget to send me the VID/PID for your USB/Serial interface.

73 Dan YO3GGX
W3JDR

Post by W3JDR »

Thanks

VID/PID are 2 posts back.
W3JDR

Post by W3JDR »

Hi Dan

Have you had a chance to look at the CH340 VID/PID info and determine if your driver can handle it? If it's not in the cards, I'll proceed with my development using some other Android app, but yours looks very nice and
I'd like to make it work.

Joe
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately in the current version of the driver this VID PID is not supported.
When you connect your device to Android you are prompted to start any application?

Dan
W3JDR wrote:Hi Dan

Have you had a chance to look at the CH340 VID/PID info and determine if your driver can handle it? If it's not in the cards, I'll proceed with my development using some other Android app, but yours looks very nice and
I'd like to make it work.

Joe