jarecmini on a raspberry

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: jarecmini on a raspberry

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ross,

You must find or build an OTG adapter that is able to power the phone in the same time as providing USB host features. At the end is just a matter of a resistor with a specific value, that can vary from phone to phone.
I don't know yet when I will be able to release first version of dAReC (this is the name of the Android version of jAReC), as I have currently some other projects in the final development stage and with a higher priority.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

Is this actually working or still work in progress?

I would like to control my HF rig which is connected to my Raspberry pi with a USB to ttl cable
and a SignaLink USB for audio.
I currently use MUMBLE for audio and FLRIG along with VNC to remotely connect and control the rig from the internet.
It works but the display on a remote cell phone using VNC is very hard to use. The Pocket RX TX display is the way to go.

I can't find any info on using jarecmini on a raspberry or any linux system along with Pocket RX TX for
someone just starting out with a raspberry pi.
Ken
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

I downloaded the jarecmini from this site and placed it in my download folder on my raspberry pi.
When I open it to run it just opens to several other folders leaving me at odd what to do from there.
I was under the impression all I had to do is open it. Should this be done from the terminal mode ?
Would one of the files in the download area be the executable?

Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,

To run a jar file you must enter:

Code: Select all

java -jar jarecmini.jar
Please wait a little bit. I've bought today a Raspberry Pi 3 A+ and I'm working on a document with the installation procedure.

73 dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

hello Dan
I have been working with Ed DD5LP and so far I now have Pocket RX TX working with jarecmini on a raspberry pi 3B+
I originally had problems with the IC-746 file. MODE did not work as well as a few other features.
I switched to the IC-746Pro file made sure the CIV was configured to 56. This solved the MODE and some other
features, they now work. "SECURE" has to be turned OFF to connect.

AUDIO still does not work. I am using a SignaLink USB for audio. This works perfectly with several other programs
on my Raspberry Pi.
I also have a problem with Jarecmini stopping every time I exit
from the program. I have to go into the terminal mode and type in the command to start it again.

For some reason the ICOM files that do work with the IC-746 (IC7000 and IC-746Pro, IC-746w/issues)
cause the DUPLEX to get turned on and the default offset causes a difference between transmit and receive.
I have gone into the IC-746 and change the default offsets to ZERO. This is a temp fix.

I just sent Ed a picture of my terminal showing what version Java I am running.
He thinks maybe it has something to do with why Jarecmini shuts down when I exit Pocket RX TX.

I have tested MUMBLE on my raspberry pi with PLUMBLE on my cell phone and this works
perfectly along side Pocket RX TX. This is what the new MFJ-1234 RigPi uses for audio.
I also use MUMBLE with FLRIG in my existing Internet Remote station using the IC-746 and raspberry pi.
The SignaLink USB works perfectly for FLRIG, FLDIGI, FT8 and FT8Call.

I want to thank Ed, DD5LP for all the help. I never would have gotten this far without Ed's help.

Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,

I am aware about the USB audio issue with OpenJDK and Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately I don't have a solution yet, but I'm working on. I think that at the end we have to install Java from Oracle. Other application use USB audio directly through ALSA, our issue is related to Java compatibility.
Secure authentication must work on Pi without any issue. You must check the secret on both ends. Is case sensitive.

IC-746 config from the repository is based on a standard Icom config, so must be adjusted by an IC-746 owner. If you already have a better one, I can post it on the central server.

My main issue is that I'm in a very busy period at the office in this period, so the available time to work on the app is extremely limited.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

As far as a working file for the IC-746, I can say the program called FLRIG when choosing the IC-746 works 100%.
It does not have the same features the Pocket RX TX has but the features included work 100%. For example
Pocket RX TX file for the IC-746. Most of the features do not work. The file for the IC-746 Pro most of the features
do work with the IC-746 with some exceptions. The AMP (Preamp for receive) The IC-746 has Preamp1 and Preamp 2 along
with a Attenuator. There is no choice for Preamp 2 which is very helpful on 6meters.

Whatever file FLRIG uses offers Preamp 1, 2, and off with the same button. Attenuation is a separate button.

The only issue with FLRIG is I have to use VNC from a laptop/cell phone. VNC on a cell phone is really hard to control
FLRIG. If a app or a way for the FLRIG to look like Pocket RX TX on a cell phone looks it would be a nice solution.

Not being a software guy I just enjoy what I get and offer my experiences...

Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,

Ed prepared a new config which is now available in the central repository as the default one for IC746. Please reload the config and try again. We expect that you will see some progress.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N1KK

Post by N1KK »

Update,
I discovered a strange situation that prevents jarecmini from disconnecting when I exit
pocket rx tx.

If I run on my raspberry pi 3B+ the program FLRIG at the same time
as jarecmini when I disconnect pocket rx tx on my cell phone jarecmini continues
to stay in the listening mode.

I confirmed this by closing FLRIG, then when I close pocket rx tx jarecmini also closes with an error message.
At that point the pocket rx tx can no longer connect to jarecmini until I manually start it.
If I start FLRIG again, I now can start/stop pocket rx tx as many times as I like successfully connecting to
jarecmini.

Prior to this Ed ask I try a fresh Raspian OS install using the NOOBs method. No additional programs
installed other than what gets installed by NOOBs. I still had the same disconnecting problem.

For now I have a temp solution and maybe permanent provided I keep using MUMBLE on the raspberry pi
and PLUMBLE on my cell phone for audio.

Ken
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ken,

As I'm aware, you cannot share a serial port in Linux between 2 different applications, so is not very clear for me how can you connect with FLRIG and jarecmini in the same time. How is the radio connected to the Raspberry Pi for CAT?

73 Dan YO3GGX