jarecmini on a raspberry

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
KI6SSI

Re: jarecmini on a raspberry

Post by KI6SSI »

Hi,

I just removed the config and ran it again, here is the output:

jAReC mini version 0.9.0-17
Available Audio IN devices:
(03) Device [plughw:1,0] (usb audio in)

Available Audio OUT devices:
(00) ALSA [default] (raspberry pi audio out)
(01) ALSA [plughw:0,0] (usb out, not working?)
(02) ALSA [plughw:0,1] (usb out, not working?)

Thanks for a great product!
Pete
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Pete,

USB Audio In is working in jarecmini?
Can you play audio through USB using other apps on your Raspberry Pi?

Thank you for your feedback.
73 Dan YO3GGX
KI6SSI

Post by KI6SSI »

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the delay. The audio in works fine on the USB. I will try the audio out on the USB when I get a chance with another app. I need to open up my interface to get to the jacks.

Pete
n6sjd

Post by n6sjd »

Hello Dan and the group,

I want to be able to transmit and receive on a VHF radio from my android phone. I'd like to use a dedicated, single-board computer (such as a Raspberry PI) to interface to my radio for both audio and PTT, and it looks like jarecmini and Pocket Transceiver could be used to do this.

I have two main questions.

1. The Pocket Transceiver app seems to have lots of great features! (More than I really need.) Is this the best solution for my situation, or would you recommend some other software more suited to my needs?

2. Is a Raspberry Pi with a USB sound card and a serial dongle (for PTT) the best single-board computer for this application, or is there a board (say, with on-board audio and serial PTT control) that would be a better choice?

Thank you for your feedback!

N6SJD
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,

What transceiver do you intend to use?
Currently Pocket RxTx and a Raspberry Pi with jarecmini is a tested solution, but jAReC can run on any computer for which there is a java runtime available.

I've developed, but not yet published, am Android version of jAReC that will allow you to use an old Android phone instead of a computer with jAReC. You will need just an USB cat cable, as the phone integrated audio can be used.

73 Dan YO3GGX
n6sjd

Post by n6sjd »

Hi Dan,

Although I'm a ham, I also have a GMRS license which I use for conducting local area emergency communications, where I'm often the net control operator. I'd like to conduct these nets even when I cannot be at the radio. That is why I'm looking for a remote option.

My current GMRS radio is a Midland MicroMobile. The microphone on this radio has a modular connector, which should make it easy to build an interface cable. The radio does not support CAT and it does not have a USB or Serial, so PTT would need to be controlled by a pin like RTS or DTR or a GPIO pin. That's very interesting that you have an Android jAReC solution. If I hosted jAReC on Android, could it use USB Serial RTS/DTR, or would the radio need to support CAT?

73, Ross N6SJD
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ross,

jAReC is able to use RTS for PTT, but if no CAT available, how do you intend to control the radio?

73 Dan YO3GGX
n6sjd

Post by n6sjd »

Dan,

The only thing I really need to control on the radio is PTT. The frequency can be preset as it's always the same. It might be nice to power the radio on/off, but I could do that using a GPIO if I used Raspberry Pi. Could I use DTR from the Android USB for power and RTS for PTT? Is the jAReC source available for customization, or just the java byte codes?

When you use an Android phone to host jAReC and plug a USB cable from the phone to the radio for CAT, the phone's USB OTG port acts as host and the radio is the device, so where does the phone get its power?

73, Ross N6SJD
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Ross,

You can define scripts to be run through jAReC and associate them with Pocket RxTx buttons, so you can control power on/off through the apps too.
This is explained in the apps user guides.

73 Dan YO3GGX
n6sjd

Post by n6sjd »

Thanks Dan,

Ah, I remember now, reading about the button associations.

How would the phone get external power if you plug in a serial cable for CAT?

When do you expect to release a version of jAReC for Android phones? That sounds like an awesome use of an old phone.

73, Ross N6SJD