A new experimental PRO version (3.0b) is now available for download

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
yo3ggx
Site Admin

A new experimental PRO version (3.0b) is now available for download

Post by yo3ggx »

Hello everybody,

The new version (3.0) is not available for download. Is still an experimental version (beta 1), not yet thoroughly tested. Can be installed in parallel with the Play Store version. Configuration files are no more shared, as the new version does not use the external storage anymore. To transfer radio config files for editing or backup purpose, you must use the newer version of jAReC (3.0b1).

To download the new Pocket RxTx click here.
To download the new jAReC click here

Some screenshots are available here. Click on each individual picture for a full resolution version.

The experimental PRO version does not use ads, providing all the available features. After the first installation using the link provided above, any available update is automatically presented when you start the application. As soon as an update is available, you will be required to update in order to further use it. When I will decide that the app is ready for PlayStore, you will be prompted to install the final version from there.

This is major update, with a lot of changes, mainly in the operation mode, for a better user experience.

Whats new from the Play Store version (2.1):

- use only internal device storage (no more "Access to Photos" permission required)
- audio and CAT can now be used in the background for Direct CAT mode too
- all selection wheels replaced with selection panels
- for all option buttons with more than 2 states a selection panel is used
- no more long press actions except for lock screen, power toggle and save memory location
- user switchable tuning band stops (select IARU 1/2/3)
- show my and WebSDR server coordinates and distance between them (more details if Location Service activated)
- new, bigger waterfall and spectrum display (still some issues with the smoothness)
- import/export radio configuration files through jAReC for edit/backup purpose
- USB/Serial multi-port interface support added. PTT over CAT, RTS or DTR (user selectable), same or different port (ex. Yaesu FT-991 or SCU-17 interface))
- associate locally stored radio configs with specific Bluetooth/USB/Network profile, so you can operate different radios without re-entering the configuration data each time you switch between them. Network profiles were remove.
- user configurable beep/vibration on button press (Pro)
- default radio address is automatically entered when loading a new Icom radio config (no need to enter it manually if the default one is used on the radio)
- search button in the Bluetooth configuration page
- added PMR as available band and set correct frequency steps for CB and PMR
- 11m band can now be renamed as "CB" in the radio config file
- display channel number in CB and PMR bands
- Droid ARC mode name changed to dAReC and now functional. The companion dAReC android app (the jAReC equivalent) is in final development stage and will be available soon for download. This will allow you to remotely operate the radio over the Internet without the need for a PC at home, a cheap Android smartphone can be used as a server.
- force own callsign to uppercase
- no more Bluetooth Offline mode
- radio config timestamp is automatically updated when importing a config from jAReC
- in direct CAT mode meter label visible only if respective meter read command is defined in POLLING and feedback is active

Some of the bug fixes (several bugs from 2.1 solved by the new engine) :
- do not keep Setup mode when rotating screen
- java error if started with a previously active WebSDR server saved which is now down.
- radio feedback is now working for Icom radios
- immersive mode (full screen) now always active, no more several orientation change required
- when setting font size, option buttons labels does not update in realtime.

As usual, please send me your feedback if you test the new version. I will try to fix any found bug as soon as possible and provide an update through the mechanism explained above.
N7XGR

Re: A new experimental PRO version (3.0b) is now available for download

Post by N7XGR »

Dan, I have installed the new current version 3.0b2 on the phone and with the matching PC app version.
I have tried 6 different Icom config files from the 7000 to the 7300 but none of these will change the mode.
When changing configs I change the CI-V address in the 7300 to what for example the 7100 has for the default
CI-V address like 88. This is easier than to change the address in the app.
Right now I am using the IC7000 config, I am on 40 meters LSB, I change to 20 meters but the mode does not change.
When I tap the mode button a popup appears and I tap USB but there is no mode change on the 7300.
I have changed from 40 meters to 20 meters and again the mode does not change from LSB to USB.
Even using the mode button to change from LSB to AM or any other mode there is no change on the 7300.
I changed back to SM0HXB 7300 config file and again testing, no mode change from band to band and not able
to change modes via the mode button popup.
Another problem happens when I tap the red X button to the right of the VFO knob, the app crashes.
Testing SM0HXB config I am able to change various functions like the filter, comp, NR, NB, PWR and so on.
The VFO A/B works but changing this it does not change modes going from 20 USB to 40 LSB
Do you have any idea as why the modes do not change?
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,

I am aware about this bug. I'm working on a fix for this one and a few others. Tomorrow I will publish a new version (b3) for both Pocket RxTx and jAReC.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

73 Dan YO3GGX
on7dh

Post by on7dh »

Hi,
What is the PC app version ???
N7XGR

Post by N7XGR »

I downloaded the PC java version from here, https://www.yo3ggx.ro/ top of page.
I would wait until Dan has these bugs worked out before downloading because it appears
that the APP on the PC must match the Android version number APP.
The next version number will be different.

Bruce N7XGR
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

on7dh wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:09 am Hi,
What is the PC app version ???
Current version available on my web site is 3.0b2 for both jAReC and Pocket RxTx.
Here you will find all the info and download links for every new 'b' version, including version history.
https://www.yo3ggx.ro/pocketrxtx/experi ... index.html
When you start the experimental app, latest available version is checked and if you have an older one, you will be prompted with the web page above on your device, so you can install it by just clicking on the link.

I forgot to mention that b2 is no more compatible with older versions (both Pocket RxTx and jAReC), so until the final version will be available, please keep in sync jAReC and PocketRxTx versions, otherwise some compatibility issues may occur.

Most probable I will post version 3.0b3 still today.

73 Dan YO3GGX
on7dh

Post by on7dh »

Hi Bruce,

how do you run the PC java version on a PC ? Is it on windows or linux ?

Regards.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

You can run jAReC on Windows, Linux or Mac. Install java runtime (latest 1.8), 10 is not yet supported.
Both i386 and x64 versions are supported.
Then go to the folder where jAReC.jar was downloaded and run:

java -jar jAReC.jar

This is explained in the application user guide available here:
https://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAReC/doc20/i.html

Not yet updated for 3.0, but not so many differences in the operating mode.

73 Dan YO3GGX
on7dh

Post by on7dh »

Thanks for explanation.

Regards.
on7dh

Post by on7dh »

Hi,
on my galaxy a5 2017 (android 8.0.0), when I try to set a frequency in memory, I received a message
Error occurred
An error has occcurred egardsin
sub:main_vvvvvvvvvvvv......5
(java line:12102)
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException:length=1;
index=1
Continue?
NO YES

Regards