Full or Semi-Duplex Mode

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
HB9WDF

Full or Semi-Duplex Mode

Post by HB9WDF »

I programmed a .Radio File for the FT-736R. This old sat radio don't support the qrg feedback via cat. But I can now steer all the main function like qrg, mode and PTT.
But my main target is to use this radio for the new geo Satellite QO-100 (No Doppler correction is needed)
For that case, I search a way to use this radio in full- or semi-duplex mode with the Pocket RX/TX.

There are 3 CMD Sets for the QRG
CMD_SET_FREQ=<D87>,<D65>,<D43>,<D21>,01 (The normal VFO)
CMD_SET_FREQ_SAT_RX=<D87>,<D65>,<D43>,<D21>,1E (Downlink QRG)
CMD_SET_FREQ_SAT_TX=<D87>,<D65>,<D43>,<D21>,2E ) (Uplink QRG)

There are also two sets for the Sat Mode (on/off)
CMD_SET_SAT_OFF=00,00,00,00,8E
CMD_SET_SAT_ON=00,00,00,00,0E
(The sat mode is not the problem. I can switch the TRX in Sat Mode with the 2nd wheel or with the function button)

So the minimum requirement is, to set the RX and TX qrg separate.

My simple idea is, to assign the SAT-RX with a VFO-A and the SAT-TX with a VFO-B.
But I didn't found an information about the VFO in the documentation.

Is there a way to solve this problem?
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: Full or Semi-Duplex Mode

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,

Is not very clear for me what you have tried.
CMD_SET_FREQ_SAT_RX and CMD_SET_FREQ_SAT_TX cannot be used with option buttons as there is no way to enter the digits.

Do you have the CAT protocol specification for FT-736R? If yes, can you send me a link?

73 Dan YO3GGX
HB9WDF

Post by HB9WDF »

Hi Dan

I modified the Radio File from the FT-847. The command Sets are from there.
But in the manual on the page 44-46 are the description of the Cat System. The Code Chart us on page 46.

http://hb9f.ch/shack/pdf/Bedien-Anl-FT_736_R.pdf

73s Michael
HB9WDF
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Michael,

Why don't you use SPLIT? You can set the offset through a CAT command and the RX frequency through the normal CMD_SET_FREQ command.
I'm missing something?

73 Dan YO3GGX
HB9WDF

Post by HB9WDF »

Hi Dan
That is the problem of the old radio. The FT-736 allows only a split in the same band modul.
A split mode over both moduls 2m and 70cm is not possible :-(
The only way for using both bands at the same time is the sat mode.

73s Michael
hb9wdf
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Michael,

If SPLIT across two bands is not possible with your radio, I see no direct way to achieve this with the current version of the application.
One possible workaround that comes to my mind (not tested) is to define frequency pairs and then associate macros with two option buttons. One for PTT down (TX) and one for PTT up (RX). In these macros you set frequency and send PTT_ON or PTT_OFF commands.
Is not very clear for me what SAT mode does on this radio, as I'm not familair with it.

73 Dan YO3GGX
HB9WDF

Post by HB9WDF »

Hi Dan

The minimum logic for a satellite radio is, that the radio receive via CAT the command for the TX and RX frequency. Normally a sat application do that for me automatically. The Sat App calculate the coorect TX and RX frequency including the Doppler shift.
In my case, I like to use my FT-736 only for the QO-100 GEO sat. This sat has no Doppler-Effect. So I need only a pairing of the right qrg.

For the workaround: It's possible to creat a macro for jAReC?
With the second wheel, I can switch the FT-736 in the Sat-Mode. It works, I have tested the function.
My idea is, that when I change the RX QRG with the VFO in Pocket RXTX, the Macro in the jarec calculate with a split frequeny the Uplink qrg and send it to the Transceiver too. That is all what I need. (But it must possible to change the split frequency manually for the fine tuning)

If you have future plans with your APP to implement a full duplex mode, I can help you with testing. I have also the new ICOM IC-9700 sat radio...

73s Michael
hb9wdf
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Michael,

In this context by macros I understand a chain of several commands.
In the current version, jAReC is just a pass-through between Pocket RxTx and the radio. In a future version (maybe even in 4.0) you will be able to create macros directly uin jAReC.
You can create macros in Pocket RxTx. Just add several commands under the same "macro" command name, separated by <P100> tag (100ms break between commands).

Please explain what do you mean by "full duplex mode" in this respect.

73 Dan YO3GGX
HB9WDF

Post by HB9WDF »

Hi Dan

Hmmm - short answer: When I transmit in one band, I will receive at the same time the other band.

Long answer:
For satellite it is important to check your downlink during the transmission. The doppler effect change the frequency by an Low earth orbit satellite on 2m +/- 3kHz and in the 70cm +/- 13 kHz. So on the TRX, I must define on which band I use the RX and which the TX. (and mode).
If you have plan to implement a sat mode in your app, the easyst way is a second VFO-Wheel.
(This VFO-wheel can you also use for Split mode for DX-peditions...)

If you have no plans for a sat mode in your app (not a problem for me):
I will use my old FT-736 only for the QO-100 Geo sat. That means, that I have allways the same Offset between the RX and the TX QRG. (No Doppler Effect).
So the idea is, I set the TRX first in the sat mode (CMD_SET_SAT_ON=00,00,00,00,0E)
Then I set manually via the app the RX qrg (CMD_SET_FREQ_SAT_RX=<D87>,<D65>,<D43>,<D21>,1e)
Then a macro script calculate with a standard offset qrg the new TX qrg and send it also to the TRX (CMD_SET_FREQ_SAT_TX=<D87>,<D65>,<D43>,<D21>,2e)
I have testet all these HEX Codes with Pocket RXTX and they work correctly.

73s Michael
hb9wdf
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Michael,

I will put this feature on the wish list. I have still a lot of work to do on v4 to fully change the CAT engine in order to simplify the config file and for better performance. Unfortunately my daily job does not allow me to allocate enough time for the development.

73 Dan YO3GGX