jAReC Linux

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
N7JYS

jAReC Linux

Post by N7JYS »

I have installed jAReC on a raspberry pi 3 computer and all works great except I get no audio for the Android TX/RX app to the computer. So basically one way audio. I am running a standard Audio dongle I got from ebay. This same dongle work great for APRS (Direwolf) and Allstar with no issues. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I would also like to request a feature for the raspberry pi as to use a GPIO pin for push to talk so I can use the data port on my FT-891 for transmit and receive audio.

I have used this software on my windows 10 laptop with no audio issues but don't want to tie up my laptop for this application. Thanks in Advance.

Eric N7JYS
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: jAReC Linux

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately Java subsystem in v3 has some issues with USB audio on a Raspberry Pi.
This problem is solved in jAReC version 4 I'm working on, that will use java 11.

You can try the experimental version of jAReC 4 on your Pi.
Take care to use it in Compatibility (v3) mode. A lot of new features are available in version 4 (including local control of the radio, config builder, etc), but the user guide is not yet updated.

This is the procedure to follow.
First install java and javafx version 11

Code: Select all

sudo apt install openjdk-11-jre
sudo apt install openjfx
mkdir jarec
cd jarec
Create a bash script named jarec.sh with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
rm -fv jAReC.ja*
wget https://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAReC/v4/jAReC.jar
/usr/bin/java -jar --module-path /usr/share/openjfx/lib --add-modules javafx.controls jAReC.jar
Make the script executable.
Then just run the script. Each time you run it, the latest version of jAReC v4 is downloaded and run.
Please be aware that this is a work in progress, so if a specific version (currently v4A3) is working for you, save it locally and adjust the script not to download latest version each time is run.

Version 4 of jarecmini (console version) is not yet available.

Please send me your feedback if you try it.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N7JYS

Post by N7JYS »

Ok so I started with a fresh install of rasbin-buster and upgraded to the latest software. This is now my new test bed for jAReC. V4

Downloaded and installed per your instruction, java and javafx version 11. Wrote the JAReC.sh script.
The JAReC starts up fine running V3 compatible. When trying to connect it aborts the program. jsn.cfg is blank with no data stored when this happens. When I re-run jAReC i have to re-populate parameters. After setup and Before I start jAReC, i look at the jsn.cfg and all pramaters are there execpt for the tcpip port which dose not store. I 've tryed with encryption and without , same results.

However With that said I have bellsoft-jdk13-linux-arm32-vfp-hflt and javaFX running on another pi3 with JAReC v3 running and have stable results. Version 4 will run on this pi but i'st stability is iffy. Open to suggestion. Thanks

Eric N7JYS
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Eric,

Tested again on a Pi3a with latest Buster and everything is working as expected.
Did you checked that your user has access to the USB/Serial device?

73 Dan YO3GGX
N7JYS

Post by N7JYS »

I have tested jAReC/v4 now with the latest buster raspberry pi version. jAReC/v4 with latest download will not even start.
Returns file info. No Joy. Version 3 works with no errors.

Eric N7JYS
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Eric,

What do you mean by "Returns file info"?
Did you added the user running jAReC to the dialout group, in order to be able to write to the USB/Serial device?
This is my os version (uname -a):

Linux rasPI3ALIV 5.4.51-v7+ #1333 SMP Mon Aug 10 16:45:19 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
and this is java version:

openjdk 11.0.8 2020-07-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.8+10-post-Raspbian-1deb10u1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 11.0.8+10-post-Raspbian-1deb10u1, mixed mode)
Please forget jAReC v3, v4 is fully redesigned.

73 Dan YO3GGX
N7JYS

Post by N7JYS »

Linux raspberrypi 5.4.51-v7+ #1333 SMP Mon Aug 10 16:45:19 BST 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
This is the version I am running. And I never have to add any users for jAReC v3 to work. As long as im a super user it runs fine.
However version 4 does not run whether I am a sudo user or not. Even adding user jAReC and to group dialout dose
nothing to change the outcome for running version 4. This is what I get in return after trying to star version 4.

jareccore$ResumableSub_InitAppGUI.resume (java line: 5878)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot parse: true as boolean
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.parseBoolean(BA.java:341)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.ObjectToBoolean(BA.java:410)
at ro.yo3ggx.jarec.jareccore$ResumableSub_InitAppGUI.resume(jareccore.java:5878)
at ro.yo3ggx.jarec.jareccore._vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv3(jareccore.java:5646)
at ro.yo3ggx.jarec.main._appstart(main.java:51)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent2(BA.java:91)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent(BA.java:78)
at ro.yo3ggx.jarec.main.start(main.java:37)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$9(LauncherImpl.java:846)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$12(PlatformImpl.java:455)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:428)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$11(PlatformImpl.java:427)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.gtk.GtkApplication.lambda$runLoop$11(GtkApplication.java:277)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

Version jAReCv3 will do this same if I'm not running it as sudo user.

I don't know what changed with your last update but FYI I had version 4 running with and earlier version.

Eric N7JYS

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/jarec#
N7JYS

Post by N7JYS »

I have tryed a different version openjdk (openjdk verion 13-BellSoft 2019-09-17) and was able to get jAReCv4 running
as a sudo user but it will not control my Yaesu ft-891. Does not turn it on or control frequency. The tx/rx app connects fine
but JaReC returns a com error when I disconnect. Adding jAReC as a user and to group dialout dose not change the outcome.

jAReCv3 works fine with openjdk 13-BellSoft as a sudo user.

Eric N7JYS
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi,

jAReC must be run as a standard user, no need for special rights except adding it to the dialout group.
Did you checked the version of openjdk and javafx?

73 Dan YO3GGX
arttuli

Post by arttuli »

I installed the linux mint program. I haven't used linux before, so it's completely unknown to me, so I don't know how to use it. I have tried to install jarec but I have not been successful. What kind of instructions could be given so that a beginner can do it. Or is it better to stay on Windows until I learn how to use Linux.