jAReC version 4 beta versions

Here we discuss about both jAReC and jarecmini
SY1DAL

Re: jAReC version 4 beta versions

Post by SY1DAL »

Well i prefer to run overal the portable version, despite the fact that i have java installed... because in the portable version you have everything needed the way you need to and what is required by the java applet to run. In most cases i run just the .exe file without having the debug console.... but now for these tests i am always running the app with debug console.

Anyway... i am hoping for v4 to be finalized so you can then work on android version app - to me its the TOP KILLER HAM Radio App. I use it everyday.

Best 73s
https://qrz.com/db/sy1dal
.:: Jimmy Sy1Dal ::.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Thank you Jimmy.
73 Dan YO3GGX
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

So.... usually when i make tests... i always make a test first for the good working operation of the combo of JAREC and PocketRXTX. After that i proceed to the main tests of JAREC itself as a direct operation to the radio.

My feedback is:

1. regarding the combo operation, when JAREC v4b9 is working as a server (v3) compatibility, it does connect fine without issues but no AUDIO is coming from the radio. I mean that PocketRXTX is not getting any audio back. The input audio works of course from PocketRXTX.
NEW test: after a second connection test again between Jarec and PocketRXTX now the sound works on my mobile.... i am not sure what the problem was the first time. Now seems ok. Strange.

2. as for the main direct operation of Jarec v4b9 i see that sometimes (quite less times... perhaps 2 in every 12 clicks of the PTT) still the meter goes to 0. But its very very rare... but it happens. It is tho smoother in its movement (which is very nice).

3. When i click on either the meter (to select between swr or pwr or any other) the small box goes in the back of the main screen so i have to move with the mouse the main screen in order to see the other small box. I saw that meter box opens on the right side .... and band selection on another position... the pwr adjuestement box goes to the left side... One thing to notice is that when these "popup" boxes open... the focus is on these boxes and so when you move your mouse outside the frame of small boxes and try to press a button on the main screen it doesn't work. I am trying to say that the small boxes are trying to keep the focus (its like move to the back or move to the front.... an element to make it active) .

I was thinking that you could perhaps add a framebox area inside the main area of the app, and to be empty at first (just like that empty box in PocketRXTX for the infobar messages) and whenever you click to set either frequency, modes or RF Power the adjustment will be displayed in that box frame so that way you will always have the main WINDOWS of the app in focus. Essentially remove any popup boxes for setting up things in the app. Just have one windows box main area to make all adjustments from one place. That is my logic / suggestion.

I haven't seen anything else in the app as a bug tho. Everything else seems to be ok from my side but you could perhaps ask me to test specific areas of the app ?

Best 73s, Jimmy.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

SY1DAL wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:04 pm 1. regarding the combo operation, when JAREC v4b9 is working as a server (v3) compatibility, it does connect fine without issues but no AUDIO is coming from the radio. I mean that PocketRXTX is not getting any audio back. The input audio works of course from PocketRXTX.
NEW test: after a second connection test again between Jarec and PocketRXTX now the sound works on my mobile.... i am not sure what the problem was the first time. Now seems ok. Strange.
There is a bug in Pocket RxTx v3. After connection, audio from the radio starts only if you shortly press PTT. Please check if this is the case. Cannot be solved from jAReC side, but will be fixed in Pocket RxTx v4.
2. as for the main direct operation of Jarec v4b9 i see that sometimes (quite less times... perhaps 2 in every 12 clicks of the PTT) still the meter goes to 0. But its very very rare... but it happens. It is tho smoother in its movement (which is very nice).
Will help me debug this if you can find a pattern to reproduce the issue here.
3. When i click on either the meter (to select between swr or pwr or any other) the small box goes in the back of the main screen so i have to move with the mouse the main screen in order to see the other small box. I saw that meter box opens on the right side .... and band selection on another position... the pwr adjuestement box goes to the left side... One thing to notice is that when these "popup" boxes open... the focus is on these boxes and so when you move your mouse outside the frame of small boxes and try to press a button on the main screen it doesn't work. I am trying to say that the small boxes are trying to keep the focus (its like move to the back or move to the front.... an element to make it active) .
I am aware about this issue in v4b9. Please confirm that this happen only if you activate Always On Top feature.
I was thinking that you could perhaps add a framebox area inside the main area of the app, and to be empty at first (just like that empty box in PocketRXTX for the infobar messages) and whenever you click to set either frequency, modes or RF Power the adjustment will be displayed in that box frame so that way you will always have the main WINDOWS of the app in focus. Essentially remove any popup boxes for setting up things in the app. Just have one windows box main area to make all adjustments from one place. That is my logic / suggestion.
I'm not sure that this change will help operation, but I will think about it.
I haven't seen anything else in the app as a bug tho. Everything else seems to be ok from my side but you could perhaps ask me to test specific areas of the app ?
Did you checked KEYER functionality? I'm not sure it is set correctly for FT450, is anyway user configurable. Looks like PTT (RTS) is used for CW, controlling an internal relay. In IC705 case, you must activate PTT and then use DTR for CW (no relay involved when keying.
I'm using a SCU-17 interface with my FT450, but may be different for other kind of interfaces. You must set CWSPEED from the radio interface to the one you want. This will affect jAReC Keyer too.

73 Dan YO3GGX
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

There is a bug in Pocket RxTx v3. After connection, audio from the radio starts only if you shortly press PTT. Please check if this is the case. Cannot be solved from jAReC side, but will be fixed in Pocket RxTx v4.
Good to know now this. I saw this happening from time to time.
Will help me debug this if you can find a pattern to reproduce the issue here.
Perhaps I will record a video screenshot to see it ?
I am aware about this issue in v4b9. Please confirm that this happen only if you activate Always On Top feature.
Oh ok... You got a point. The always on top feature might be causing this. Haven't tested it yet. Will do and inform you tonight.
Did you checked KEYER functionality? I'm not sure it is set correctly for FT450, is anyway user configurable. Looks like PTT (RTS) is used for CW, controlling an internal relay. In IC705 case, you must activate PTT and then use DTR for CW (no relay involved when keying.
I'm using a SCU-17 interface with my FT450, but may be different for other kind of interfaces. You must set CWSPEED from the radio interface to the one you want. This will affect jAReC Keyer too.
Well unfortunately I don't make cw contacts. Overall I prefer voice qsos... and sometimes digital ft8. I am using another system for audio and USB control . Its the echolink audio interface. I have totally 2 sound cards. One for voice and one for digital.

Anything else to test ?

Best 73s, Jimmy
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

SY1DAL wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:05 pm Perhaps I will record a video screenshot to see it ?
Great!
Oh ok... You got a point. The always on top feature might be causing this. Haven't tested it yet. Will do and inform you tonight.
ok
Anything else to test ?
Did you tried client mode too?
73 Dan YO3GGX
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

I forgot to mention Tuner functionalities.
tuner1.png
tuner1.png (43.31 KiB) Viewed 759 times
- None - no tuner available at all. TUNE button will have no effect
- Transceiver - When TUNE pressed, SET_ATU=TUNE is executed (if defined in the radio config)
- External - While TUNE button is pressed, the radio is set to 1W, mode to AM and PTT to ON. This can help you tune using an external standalone tuner. When released, the radio TXPWR and MODE are set back to previous values.
- BTMLC - This activate the control for my BTMLC tuner (Bluetooth Magnetic Loop Controller tuner). This feature is not fully developed yet, but the hardware was already being presented in a MAGLOOP Facebook group. This allows wireless automatic tuning for any magnetic loop antenna.
- SWR - The SWR measurement is started for the current band and a graph is displayed. Measurement is performed with 1W and AM.
tuner2.png
tuner2.png (14.52 KiB) Viewed 759 times
If you test this feature, I would like to get your feedback.
73 Dan YO3GGX
ea1hg

Post by ea1hg »

Good morning and thank you for adding the option that I suggested that the application can always be on top. I have another suggestion or idea. It would be possible to assign the option of assigning a key on the keyboard to be able to activate or block ptt, so that you can have your hands free without having to use the mouse. Thanks.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

ea1hg wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:05 am I suggested that the application can always be on top.
I prefer to keep it optional, as you may want to use the app in the background just for receive, using the headset and do something else on the PC in the same time.
Anyway, if you set Always On Top, this is saved in the configuration file (jsn.cfg), so no need to re-activate when you restart the application.
I have another suggestion or idea. It would be possible to assign the option of assigning a key on the keyboard to be able to activate or block ptt, so that you can have your hands free without having to use the mouse. Thanks.
Yes. Keyboard shortcuts are already on the wish list and will be available in the next beta version, not only for PTT, but for other commands too (tune, meter select, SWR measurement, KEYER, mute, etc.

73 Dan YO3GGX
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Hi Dan and hi to all.

Was a bit tired yesterday night...
ea1hg wrote: Good morning and thank you for adding the option that I suggested that the application can always be on top. I have another suggestion or idea. It would be possible to assign the option of assigning a key on the keyboard to be able to activate or block ptt, so that you can have your hands free without having to use the mouse. Thanks.
I assume that you mean a PTT Lock function next to the main ptt button ? or a keyboard shortcut ?
yo3ggx wrote: I prefer to keep it optional, as you may want to use the app in the background just for receive, using the headset and do something else on the PC in the same time.
Anyway, if you set Always On Top, this is saved in the configuration file (jsn.cfg), so no need to re-activate when you restart the application.
I coundn't agree more. I believe that optional is the best solution. But noticed that when enabled, indeed the boxes open behind or to the left and some to the right of the main window (the main window keeps the focus) in some cases, and regarding the meter button... if you press it twice or 3 times... the box will open 3 times ... as many times you click on it ... it will open these many times you click. Of course with happens with "always on top" toggle. When its off... everything works fine.
yo3ggx wrote:Yes. Keyboard shortcuts are already on the wish list and will be available in the next beta version, not only for PTT, but for other commands too (tune, meter select, SWR measurement, KEYER, mute, etc.
Keyboard shortcuts are always nice to have in any application. But i would definetely suggest a PTT lock function in the main PTT button (i have attached a picture / no my best design tho hehehe).

I am also aware and saw the tuner functionatilies... I have selected "transceiver" option for me as i use the internal tuner of the radio (ft-450) but since my antenna is with swr 1.1 on 4 bands... i never use nowadays.
yo3ggx wrote:Did you tried client mode too?
Where will it come handy to use client mode ? I must have two PC's for that ? its like a remote connection from a client PC to a host PC right ? I can test it i assume.. :)

I have to video links of video screenshots regarding the power meter test and also the test of SWR functionality.

1. Power Meter test (to catch the 0) https://www.iplayradio.net/cdn/files/pu ... r-zero.avi
2. SWR test https://www.iplayradio.net/cdn/files/pu ... -again.avi

Best 73s, Jimmy.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-14 121241.png
Screenshot 2021-10-14 121241.png (130.07 KiB) Viewed 754 times