jAReC version 4 beta versions

Here we discuss about both jAReC and jarecmini
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: jAReC version 4 beta versions

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Jimmy,
SY1DAL wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:08 pm I wasn't aware about that part... that i have to make calibration. I do not know how to do that.
READ_SMETER return a value between 0 and 255, according to the FT450 CAT operation guide.
sm.png
sm.png (38.11 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
To associate this value with a specific S level, there is a tag in the radio configuration file named "CAL_SMETER"
Current definition for FT450 is:
CAL_SMETER=0=0;16=100;41=200;58=300;74=400;90=500;107=600;118=700;137=800;156=900;173=910;189=920;206=930;222=940;238=950;255=960;
So.. for value=0, S=S0, for value=16, S=S1, ,,, , for value=156, S=S9, ... for value=206,S=S9+30dB and so on.
This was created based on the answer received from my FT450 transceiver.
You must use Configuration Builder and send READ_SMETER commands, check returned value from the radio for different S levels and then adjust CAL_SMETER line in the yaesu_ft450.radio local file.
All intermediary values are interpolated internally by the application. Same applies for all meters.
When you say Radio Meter... you mean the actual radio meter from ft-450d ? I cannot have PPC-450 (yaesu original app for controlling the radio) and Jarec run at the same time as they conflict in the port number.
I wish there was a way i could have both Jarec + PPC-450 app to run together... i could then see a good comparison. Yes, my baudrate is 38.400.
You cannot share a COM ports between two applications that must read and write asynchronous. I'm not aware about PPC-450. Is this an application that correctly display SMETR values?
Can be an issue with your VNC connection? Check from a jAReC instance in Client mode first, as is still not clear for me what's the issue with the meters. The value is wrong for a stable value or what?
I am using all software that use CAT with my radio with that same baudrate and never had issues.
It is ok. is always recommended for best results to use the highest Baudrate available for each specific radio. 38400 is maximum for FT450.
Dan, will it be important if i re-run the tests with the "run_debug" so you can perhaps see something from there ?
Can be useful if you get some errors.

Thank you.
73 Dan YO3GGX
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Hi Dan
READ_SMETER return a value between 0 and 255, according to the FT450 CAT operation guide.
I am aware of the smeter reading.. i also have that manual :)
To associate this value with a specific S level, there is a tag in the radio configuration file named "CAL_SMETER"
Current definition for FT450 is:
CAL_SMETER=0=0;16=100;41=200;58=300;74=400;90=500;107=600;118=700;137=800;156=900;173=910;189=920;206=930;222=940;238=950;255=960;
So.. for value=0, S=S0, for value=16, S=S1, ,,, , for value=156, S=S9, ... for value=206,S=S9+30dB and so on.
This was created based on the answer received from my FT450 transceiver.
You must use Configuration Builder and send READ_SMETER commands, check returned value from the radio for different S levels and then adjust CAL_SMETER line in the yaesu_ft450.radio local file.
All intermediary values are interpolated internally by the application. Same applies for all meters.
I totally understand but i am not going to perform that now. What matters now is the stability of Jarec. I might do that later... Btw, is Pocket RXTX reading the SWR and PWR meter values correctly tho ? Or do i have to do that process with CAL_SMETER so that pocket-rxtx will also read better values from my radio ?
You cannot share a COM ports between two applications that must read and write asynchronous. I'm not aware about PPC-450. Is this an application that correctly display SMETR values?
Can be an issue with your VNC connection? Check from a jAReC instance in Client mode first, as is still not clear for me what's the issue with the meters. The value is wrong for a stable value or what?
Well i know that a com port cannot be share between two apps. PCC-450 is that here https://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=D ... Archived=1 and you look down down to get the PCC app. Its a full control of the radio. As for my VNC connection i assure you its really fast. No issues. I have tho made a test between server mode and client mode and i have this video demonstration here https://www.iplayradio.net/cdn/files/pu ... client.mp4
and its working really amazing.

So overall Jarec v4.b11 is getting close to be in stability. But you know better of course.

Best 73s, Jimmy.
https://qrz.com/db/sy1dal
.:: Jimmy Sy1Dal ::.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hello Everybody
A new jAReC b4 beta version is available for download
Update Oct 19, 2021
jAReC version 4 beta 12
Download jAReC v4.0b12 (jar file) https://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAReC/v4/jAReC_v4b12.jar
Download jAReC v4.0b12 (portable x64 Windows version file) https://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAReC/v4/jAReC_v4b12.zip
What's new https://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAReC/v4/whatsnew.html

Besides some minor changes and bug fixes, this version add a new functionality: Call Logging, fully integrated with the rest of the application.
Some of the features:
- support for QRZ queries. This feature require a QRZ XML subscription.
- extract all available statiuon info from QRZ
- use ADIF v3 as standard file format (New/Open?Save)
- if you load your existing Call Log in ADIF format (ex. saved from QRZ), you have the options to do searches based on several tags.
- you can display with a simple click the web page of the user (if <web> tag is defined, or the QRZ page if personal web page not available.
- frequency and mode are automatically entered when tuning the radio through jAReC
- start and end time of the call are automatically saved in the ADIF record at the end of the call

As the user manual is not yet ready, here are some hints about the new features:
This is how it looks.
calllog.png
calllog.png (699.64 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Enter your callsign, username and password for QRZ.com using the Config menu
Enter the callsign (case insensitive) and press ENTER
All fields are automatically filled by querying QRZ database
Click on the small picture to open the window with more details
Click on the big picture to open the web page of the user or his QRZ page
To search through the call log, select from the dropdown list the parameter you want to search for. Partial text is accepted (ex. if you want to search for all the calls with US, select Country and enter "United" then press Search
The number of calls is displayed in the Curr./Total field. Click '<' or '>' to browse through the results.
Clicking on the Callsign in the "Previous Call(s) frame, a query is started in QRZ.conm for the respective callsign
UTC Clock

If you have questions related to the new feature, please post in this thread..
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Wow these are great news.

I will try tonight later ... As sometimes I make qsos after midnight on 40m .

Thank you so much Dan.

Will keep you informed of my tests 😉
ea1hg

Post by ea1hg »

Hello. I really like the new CALL LOGGING option, but it's still early and I'm asleep and I don't see where it is to activate it. I've looked at all the legs and I'm sure it's there, but I'm still asleep and I can't see it.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

ea1hg wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:28 am Hello. I really like the new CALL LOGGING option, but it's still early and I'm asleep and I don't see where it is to activate it. I've looked at all the legs and I'm sure it's there, but I'm still asleep and I can't see it.
My fault, I forgot to add an item in the menu, but can be activated by pressing 'L' key when in Radio Control mode.
The menu will be added in the next release.
73 Dan YO3GGX
ea1hg

Post by ea1hg »

yo3ggx wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:03 am
ea1hg wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:28 am Hello. I really like the new CALL LOGGING option, but it's still early and I'm asleep and I don't see where it is to activate it. I've looked at all the legs and I'm sure it's there, but I'm still asleep and I can't see it.
My fault, I forgot to add an item in the menu, but can be activated by pressing 'L' key when in Radio Control mode.
The menu will be added in the next release.
73 Dan YO3GGX
Perfect tanks
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Good morning Dan and Radio friends :)

I am testing v4b12.

1. Server mode (v3 compat.): works like a charm without issues. Perfect speed and no lags
(which btw i also left on host pc turned on as i am going out for delivery and will be in pocketrxtx to make some qso's - so i can test even more)

2. Direct mode:
  • i would suggest to not allow mouse scroller for frequency wheel when not in focus. I noticed that when you are for example in mode box to change between modes am,fm,lsb etc... while you make scroll in that box it also affects the frequency tuning. Check it out Dan.
  • s-meter needle now works ever smoother and i don't any issues.
  • i have a small question about for the new feature to log a qso. In pocketrxtx there is no need for an xml subscription in order to see information of the operator when you type the callsign. You type the callsign and all info is getting extracted automatically from qrz and then all you do is press SAVE button in mobile app to save the qso in adif file. Isn't that possible to happen with the logging in Jarec as well ?
I haven't tested yet server / client modes ... will do that tonight from my laptop and get back with details.

Best 73s, Jimmy.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hi Jimmy,
SY1DAL wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:51 am 2. Direct mode:
  • i would suggest to not allow mouse scroller for frequency wheel when not in focus. I noticed that when you are for example in mode box to change between modes am,fm,lsb etc... while you make scroll in that box it also affects the frequency tuning. Check it out Dan.
This must not happen, is a bug. I will correct in 4b13. When you click on a parameter and use mouse scroll wheel, the frequency must not be affected.
I've checked and it happen only if you first click on mode. If you click on any other parameter and then on mode, the frequency is no more changed from the wheel. Anyway, will be fixed.
  • s-meter needle now works ever smoother and i don't any issues.
Strange, as I didn't changed anything on the meter side.
  • i have a small question about for the new feature to log a qso. In pocketrxtx there is no need for an xml subscription in order to see information of the operator when you type the callsign. You type the callsign and all info is getting extracted automatically from qrz and then all you do is press SAVE button in mobile app to save the qso in adif file. Isn't that possible to happen with the logging in Jarec as well ?
I think you're wrong. If you don't have a subscription to the QRZ XML Logbook Data service (username/password entered in the app), Pocket RxTx does not have from where to get the info about the station, so you must enter it manually.
Same in jAReC v4.
I have doubts that you can query QRZ database with a free account, but I may be wrong, never tested.
According to https://www.qrz.com/page/xml_data.html seems not to be possible.

73 Dan YO3GGX
SY1DAL

Post by SY1DAL »

Strange, as I didn't changed anything on the meter side.
I am not sure, but it seems more robust and stable then previous beta versions. Perhaps it could be due to code optimization as well..
I think you're wrong. If you don't have a subscription to the QRZ XML Logbook Data service (username/password entered in the app), Pocket RxTx does not have from where to get the info about the station, so you must enter it manually.
Same in jAReC v4.
I have doubts that you can query QRZ database with a free account, but I may be wrong, never tested.
According to https://www.qrz.com/page/xml_data.html seems not to be possible.
Let me explain what i do in pocketrxtx... When i open the app, i find a frequency and usually an operator calling CQ... after i establish a QSO i click on the time UTC box area which opens the details to be written. I only type the CALLSIGN in there... and automatically all other info is getting completed like the city, country and name of operator. I only then write the RST Received and RST Sent readings and then SAVE button to save the qso in ADIF file. So how does that work ? Can this also be applied in Call Logging in Jarec ? My account is a free one on QRZ... i don't have subscription XML. Since day 1 that i am using PocketRXTX this feature of adding the qso in adif file works without issues. So i guess you can do the same in Jarec without the need of an XML subscription :)

73s. Jimmy