ICOM756 Control

Here we will discuss any subject related to the Android Pocket Transceiver which is available for free download in Google Play Store
w2hff

ICOM756 Control

Post by w2hff »

I am still struggling with audio on my setup. I think the problem is a phone problem because the audio level indicator works? I set port forwarding. I tried 2 different port numbers, 50 and 2048, neither works. It is not clear to me what number should be there. One other issue, which maybe related is when on the rig screen of the AP and pressing the 1, the rig always starts in transmit, not receive, which doesn't seem correct. Except for sound, all the controllable functions seem to be working ok.

Thanks,
Howard
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Re: ICOM756 Control

Post by yo3ggx »

Hello Howard,

Pocket RxTx v4/jAReC 4 native mode use CAT port+1 for audio if Audio over TCP is selected at both ends.
Pocket RxTx v3/jAReC v3 (or jAReC v4 in v3 compatibility mode), uyse UDP for audio on the same port as for CAT.

Please give me more details about your setup (versions used, configuration for jAReC and Pocket RxTx, how jAReC is connected to the radio).

73 Dan YO3GGX
w2hff

Post by w2hff »

Yes, as we discussed before, I am using Jarec V3 because I have W10 32 bit. I have a U5 Link on serial port 7 which works properly using WSJTX on FT8. jAReC V3 is setup for COM 7 4800 baud and RTS. TCP port is 50, the ICOM 756 address. I am also using Pocket RXTX pro. When in xmit, the TX bar on jAreC works, and the rig transmits OK, only receive audio is an issue.

Thanks,
Howard
w2hff

Post by w2hff »

PS
I am at the moment using the IP address of my PC on my wifi network. After I get the audio issues resolved, I will try switching to the router.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

In jAReC v3 there is a bug. You must shortly press on PTT on Pocket RxTx to start receiving audio from the radio.
I am trying to see if is possible to build a release of jAReC v4 for 32bit Windows, as jAReC v3 development will not continue.

73 Dan YO3GGX
w2hff

Post by w2hff »

It is good to know about the bug, but I still don't have receive audio after taking the rig out of transmit by pressing the PTT. Any ideas on that?
w2hff

Post by w2hff »

Well, I tried Jarec V4 on a 64 bit PC. However, there is no radio4 file for the ICOM756PRO. I tried using my icoml756.radio file, but V4 doesn't like it. I wasn't able to tell by looking at the ftdx10.radio4 file how to make a icom756 file that V4 would like. So, I am worse off then with Jarec V3 for now. Can you provide a ICOM756PRO.radio4 file, or provide instructions for making a radio4 file?

Thanks,
Howard
w2hff

Post by w2hff »

Following up, I tried server mode, server mode V3 and direct control. Direct control doesn't control the radio, and neither do the server modes, but the pro ap does connect.
yo3ggx
Site Admin

Post by yo3ggx »

Hello Howard,

Please use the following jar file (the new version 4.0.5 not yet released):
https://www.yo3ggx.ro/jAReC/v4/jAReC_v4.0.5_j18.jar

On the Win10 32bit PC install Oracle jre 1.8xxx 32bit version (latest available 1.8 version) from here:
https://www.oracle.com/ro/java/technolo ... e8-windows
Start a command prompt, go where the jar file was downloaded and run:
java -jar jAReC_v4.0.5_j18.jar
The only feature not working on this version is the support for ShuttleExpress.

You cannot use v3 configuration files with jAReC v4.
Just download the configuration for IC7300 and change the radio address to the one of IC756.

73 Dan YO3GGX
w2hff

Post by w2hff »

Dan:
Well, now it works! I'm using Pocket RxTx V3 compatibility. Thanks for the new version of Jarec. I have noticed a few bugs. The worst one is that I can't start JAReC in RTS only CAT for PTT. After it starts, I switched it to RTS and then I get xmit. The other annoying one is that the tune +/- buttons are not reliable, the frequency frequently doesn't always change on the rig. The knob seems to work fine. The third thing I noticed is that when you change bands, the rig doesn't change until I tune the radio.
Now my next challenge it to make it work remotely. I am working with the computer IP address on my local network, I have to try to get it to work through my router. That is a project for tomorrow.

Howard